Chapter 35: More Pain

Valerie’s POV:

It was three days later. My family had left yesterday and Louis’s family left the day before that. I was in Louis’s room and he, Harry, and I were sitting on his bed, watching a movie together. It was Paranormal Activity and I had my face hidden. Whenever Harry or Louis shouted or jumped, I screamed.

“How can you be scared if you aren’t even watching the movie?” Harry asked.

“I don’t know!” I exclaimed. Harry chuckled. I heard screaming from the movie and I screamed too. Louis pulled me onto his lap.

“Don’t worry love,” he whispered to me, “I’ll keep you safe.” For the rest of the movie, I hid my face and didn’t look up. I didn’t scream anymore though, and I’m certain it was because Louis was holding me.

Halfway through the movie, I grew tired and my eyelids began to droop. My eyes closed and I fell asleep.

I woke up. I don’t know why I did though…

I was still in Louis’s room and Harry and Louis had fallen asleep. I was still laying on Louis’s lap.

All of a sudden I had a sharp pain in my lower back and stomach. I felt like a sword was being driven through my side. I gasped and clutched my side. I fell off of Louis’s lap and rolled onto Harry, who jumped and woke up.

“Wha? Huh?” Harry rubbed his eyes and stretched, “Val? What are you- Val? What’s wrong?” His voice sounded panicked. I just shook my head.

“I don’t know,” I said, gritting my teeth. Harry reached over me and pushed Louis, trying to wake him up. Louis rolled off the bed and hit the floor with a thud. He sat up and glared at Harry.

“Harry, I swear to God-”

“Louis, something’s wrong with Valerie.” Louis was immediately by my side.

“Love, what’s wrong?” he asked.

“My side,” I managed to get out, “It feels like I’m being stabbed.” The door opened and Liam walked in.

“I heard a crash, what’s going- Val? Are you okay?” Liam was immediately by my side.

“She says her side hurts,” Harry said. Liam’s eyebrows furrowed.

“Where exactly does it hurt?” he asked. I pointed to the area on my back and stomach. Liam’s eyes went wide.

“We should get you to a hospital,” he said.

“Why? Liam, what do you think-” Harry started, but Liam interrupted him.

“Her kidney,” he said, “That’s the area that hurts.” Louis picked me up. I was still holding my side, taking deep breaths.

“Harry, you drive,” Louis said. Harry grabbed his keys and ran out to the car. Louis started walking out of the flat.

“I’m going to wake up Niall and Zayn,” Liam said, “I’m sure they’ll want to know what’s going on.” Louis agreed and walked us out to the car. He sat me in the back seat and climbed in next to me. Harry started the car and sped out of the driveway and down the road.

I leaned forward and shut my eyes tight. The pain was starting to subside, but it was still there. Louis rubbed my back the whole way to the hospital.

After what seemed like forever, Harry parked the car and Louis picked me up again. They brought me into the E.R. I was really getting sick of this place. No pun intended.

I didn’t hear what was being said. I really didn’t pay attention; the pain was coming back again. I was brought into a room and laid on a bed. I looked to my right and saw Louis looking at me, worry in his eyes. I reached out my hand and he took it.

“Is the pain any better?” he asked. I shook my head. He groaned; it pained him to see me in pain. There was a knock on the door and a doctor came in.

“Alright, Ms. Styles, what seems to be bothering you today?” the doctor asked. Really? What’s bothering me? I’m curled into a ball, clutching my side, and you ask what’s bothering me?

I didn’t answer him, so Harry did for me. He told the doctor where I said it hurt and the doctor nodded.

“Well, Ms. Styles, I have an idea of what it is, but we’re going to have to do one quick test,” he said, “We’ll have to do an ultrasound.”

“Wait, I thought ultrasounds were only for pregnancies,” Harry said.

“Ultrasounds are also used to see if someone has kidney, bladder, or liver problem, sometimes heart problems even,” the doctor told him. The pain stopped again and I relaxed.

After that, we walked to another room. Before we entered, the doctor stopped us.

“Only one of you can go in with her,” he said, looking at Harry and Louis. Harry stepped back.

“Go ahead mate,” he said, “I’ll wait out here.” Louis nodded and we entered the room.

“Alright, Ms. Styles,” the doctor said, “Just sit up on the bed and the ultrasound technician will be here in a little bit.” He walked out of the room. I got on the bed and Louis leaned on it next to me.

“Has the pain changed at all?” he asked.

“Kind of,” I said, “It goes away for a little bit, and then hits me with full force.” As soon as I said that, the pain was back. I doubled over and groaned. Louis rubbed my back again.

A minute later a woman, the ultrasound technician came into the room.

“Hello Ms. Styles,” she said, “I’m going to need you to lay down.” I did as I was told and she lifted my shirt and put some cold gel on my side. I shivered. Louis played with my hair while the technician took images from the ultrasound.

After a couple minutes, she rubbed the gel off and let me sit up.

“Alright, I’ll take you back to your room and we’ll let you know the results in a few,” she said. We went back to the room and found Harry waiting for us. The woman closed the door and it was silent for a little while. Louis continued to play with my hair and Harry tapped his foot. I just closed my eyes and tried to forget about the pain.

There was a knock at the door.