Chapter 81

I made the devil run
I gave him poison just for fun
I had one friend, now there's none

I made the devil run
I broke so many bones

But none of them were ever my own
They were an army, I was alone
I broke so many bones

***

"Ariana, I'm running to the market down the street to get some more sugar, do you need anything?" Rita places her hand on my back, bumping her purse into my side while she steps aside and walks out from the back of the counter.

Wiping down the table, I look over at her and smile, "oh no, I'm fine thank you. But we might need more napkins, I filled the holders as much as I could but we didn't have much left" I nod my head while she pulls out a piece of paper and writes down napkins as I had suggested.

"Alright," she takes a deep breath, throwing the list back into her purse before she takes off again, "I'll be back in a bit honey" she waves her hand as she pushes on the door, the bell ringing at the top of the glass when she walks outside and jumps into her car.

Waving to her as she drives off, I look back at the clock to see I only have about an hour until Harry comes to pick me up.

He would normally be sitting in the parking lot but because nobody usually comes here around this time, and Rita's always working with me, it would look a little suspicious if he was constantly sitting in the parking lot.

So now he parks down the street at the city park. He can still see who comes inside because he's watching me like a damn hawk, and I appreciate how much he cares, but the constant texting still hasn't stopped.

He claims every man that walks in here is trying to hit on me, and then when I defend their actions and explain to him I have to interact with customers for me to take their orders, he gets upset and pouts like a child.

He's dramatic.

Turning around, I lean against the back counter while I dig my phone out of my purse, texting Harry to let him know I might be a bit longer because Rita's gone, and the minute he texts back just as quick as it took me to press send, I laugh to myself and toss my phone back into my bag.

I stand up on my tiptoes, looking outside to see if any cars are pulling in, but when I saw an empty parking lot, I grab the rag from the counter and toss it over my shoulder, while I make my way to the back of the kitchen.

But as I push my way through the swinging door, my heart drops to my ass when I see him standing there leaned over the counter, casually flicking through the restaurant menu, and I almost fall backward from the shock of seeing him.

This is why you can't leave the back door open. Rats get inside.

I don't even understand how he could've gotten in. Is there a hole somewhere? Because the last time I checked I've locked that door every single day since he first showed up here without an invitation.

"What the fuck do you want now?" I ask tiredly, keeping my back rested against the counter next to me, "because if Rita comes back and sees you she'll call the police, you know?"

"Wow, not even a hello? I thought we were better friends than that, kitten. Truly breaks my heart you would speak to me as if I'm a monster" he closes the menu, smiling while he stares at me with no light in his soulless eyes.

 Truly breaks my heart you would speak to me as if I'm a monster" he closes the menu, smiling while he stares at me with no light in his soulless eyes