Book X: Girl on Fire

Chapter LXXVI

"Welcome back," Serena said from within my mind.

"Indeed, it's been awhile," Adamas replied... also from within my mind.

I sighed. "I'm starting to think this isn't healthy."

All of the people that made up the voices in my head then had the nerve to look confused at me.

Adamas chuckled before turning back to Serena, "So how did you end up here?"

Serena immediately looked agitated. "Aren't you some kind of god now?! How do you know nothing?!"

"Believe it or not, I'm still only human, I'm not as all-powerful as people like to think I am," Adamas laughed out nervously.

"Well let's start with some basics then," Serena said sarcastically. "What happens when a blade's core crystal is shattered?"

"That's easy," I jutted in, trying to break the tension just a little bit. "Their bodies are unable to return to their core crystal, and so they die."

"One point to the newbie," Serena cheered, still being sarcastic. "And now, this one's worth double, who can tell me what happened when mine was cracked?"

"You... turned to ethereal dust...," Adamas answered.

"Bingo!" Serena continued. "My core crystal couldn't resonate ever again, however my core contained enough information and was intact enough to dissolve my body. That's literally how I killed every blade I had absorbed as Cereza."

Adamas waited patiently for her to finish explaining her point.

"Keep up now," Serena added. "What other blade turned to ether dust instead of leaving a body?"

"Jin...," Adamas said aloud.

Serena let out a long sigh. "Adonis absorbed what was left of me, but he had absorbed Jin long before he found me. However I don't think there was enough of Jin left to leave consciousness behind, I wasn't so lucky."

"So how did you end up here in my mind then?" I questioned.

Serena sighed. "I think I have an answer but I'll let you find that one on your own."

Adamas nodded as he turned to me. "It'll be better that way."

"Ugh," I groaned. "Why do I get the feeling you guys are holding out on me?"

"Because we are," Serena said bluntly as Adamas shot her a look.

"What she means to say," Adamas continued, glaring at her. "Is that the answer is one you need to find on your own."

"But what's the question I need to find the answer to?" I asked.

"How much do you know about the circumstances of your birth?" Adamas questioned.

"N-Not much," I answered, suddenly realizing that that may be important.

To be honest, I only knew that a man by the name of Azurda brought me to Granny when I was a baby, but I never once questioned her on the identity of my parents. It never really bothered me.

My thoughts were interrupted as I suddenly realized something.

"Wait if you still exist that means Adonis is still alive, doesn't it?!" I questioned.