Book VII Finale

Chapter LIX

     "Ladies and peons I have a special treat for you today," Juliani announced excitedly. "Slightly less than 500 years ago a good friend of my forefather found manuscripts that contained information on the inner workings of the Aegis herself. This mass of energy is what is believed to have sunk three continents 1,000 years ago and almost caused the end of the  world 500 years ago! It was discovered in the depths of Morytha and brought back to this new Alrest on a titan. It took generations of nopon in my family to understand this creation, but I, the most powerful and intelligent woman to ever exist, have reconstructed under my command. Now it will be what kills this illegal driver once and for all."

     I looked up at the robotic monstrosity. It was massive, painted black, and had blood red ethereal wings. One thing that seemed to bother me though, was that it had no halo. I seemed to remember Mythra's Siren having a large halo, but this one had none. It also bothered me that the color scheme matched Malos' core crystal.

     "D-Do you have a plan?" Azami asked me. She still hadn't gotten off the ground. The fight with True Rosa had really done a number on her. Even with her wounds instantly regenerating, she was at her limit, and I wasn't doing much better.

     It began to shift its stance as it began pointing a large metal piece at me, and bright light began shining from the tip.

     "I think getting out of here is a good first step!" I said, pulling her off the ground in a panic.

     "We can't dodge that!" Azami argued as she got up as quickly as possible.

     "I don't imagine we have much of a choice!"

     I grabbed her hand and pulled her behind me as I ran as fast as possible.

     She yanked her hand away from me and stood between Siren and I and deployed her ether shield.

     "DAMNIT AZAMI THAT WON'T WORK!" I screamed at her.

     "I'M NOT ABOUT TO LOSE ANOTHER DRIVER!" she said with a tear streaming down her one good eye.

     "Y-You remember your last driver?" I asked, confused.

     She nodded. "I... I'm scared, I don't want to keep forgetting them.... THIS ISN'T HOW I WANT TO LIVE!"

     Siren began to fire, and I hugged her from behind, deploying my ether shield so that there'd be even more to protect us.

     "Wh-What are you doing?" Azami questioned.

     "I don't want to live knowing I left you to die, we'll take it together."

     She seemed to blush just a tiny bit. Well... it was either that or her exterior was reacting to the heat of a laser meant to wipe out continents heading towards us.

     Luckily it didn't hit, or... that's what I would've liked to say. It did hit, and it hurt, a lot. The sand and dirt around us melted into a glass and our ether shields were eradicated into dust as the searing hot rays of pure light tore through our bodies. I watched the skin and blood evaporate off my very bones that then proceeded to turn to dust.