Book VI: Prince and Assassin

Chapter XLV

     "If I were to disappear, would you forget me?" she asked him.

     "What do you mean?" Canaan asked his father's blade.

     She looked down nervously before responding. "Like I forget everything all the time.... Would you forget me if I disappeared?"

     "Of course not Finch!" Canaan reassured. "I promise if you were to disappear, I'd look everywhere for you!"

     Finch stared off into the distance blankly.

     "You alright, Finch?" Canaan asked her.

     Finch blinked and looked back at him. "Why wouldn't I be? Are you alright stranger?"

...................................

     Canaan shot awake, looking around quickly. Immediately the room went blurry and he fell back down. His legs were hurting and it was hard to breathe.

     "Woah, easy," a voice said as it ran over to him. "Oh, you're finally awake! Please be careful, I don't know how you actually survived, so don't go killing yourself off already."

     Canaan wasn't sure where he was, but he assumed he was safe... for now. "Right... thank you. What's your name?"

     "Silas," I replied. "And yours?"

     "Canaan," he replied. "Where am I? On a ship?"

     I nodded. "You are on a Tantalese ship, parked in the middle of a forest near Addam's Ravine."

     Canaan laughed. "So this is how I die, is it? Taken back to the place I wronged... fitting."

     "What do you mean?" I questioned.

     Canaan sighed. "Don't worry about it. But you're helping a dead man, I recommend you quit trying."

     Before I could respond, we were interrupter by someone else.

     "Now, that's no way to look at life, eh?" Gabriel said, walking in on the ship. "I'm sure you've still got promises and such to keep, don't ya?"

     Canaan sighed again. "And who's this? How many people are on here?"

     "Acacia, Rafi, Gabriel, and myself, along with our assorted blades," I responded.

     "Acacia? You don't mean...," Canaan started, but he stopped himself. "Never mind, I'm guessing you're Gabriel?"

     Gabriel seemed shocked. "Yeah... how'd you know?"

     Canaan chuckled. "Acacia's obviously a female's name, Silas is right here, and Rafi sounds like a nopon name."

     "Fair enough, you're an intelligent one," Gabriel pointed out.

     Acacia walked in behind us. "KOS-MOS said he was awake?"

     "How did she know that, she wasn't even in the room," I responded.

     "Yeah I've stopped questioning how she works, she's confusing as hell," Acacia sighed.

     "You mentioned promises," Canaan said to Gabriel.

     "Yeah, what about 'em?" Gabriel asked.

     "I promised someone that I'd find and look after her son, Winston Von Genbu," Canaan said aloud. He didn't know why he was telling them this, but he didn't really care anymore.