Book VI: Prince and Assassin

Chapter XLVII

"Thanks for helping earlier Canaan, we're lucky to have found you," Kasandra said to Canaan privately later.

"Are you alright, Kasandra?" he asked.

"Yeah, normally I'm much more chippy, but when he gets nervous, I do too and it's just a lot...," she complained.

Canaan smiled, "he needs someone like you. I had someone just like what you are to him. If he's doing something that worries you, then you have to step in and take care of him. That's your responsibility as his blade.

Kasandra sighed. "It's so hard sometimes though. I'd rather be my happy-go-lucky self than upfront."

"No one likes confrontation," Canaan said, shaking his head. "But if you don't ever make any noise, you won't ever be heard."

"Right," Kasandra agreed. "Thanks again."

...................................

We soon arrived at Tantal, which was on the exact opposite side of the continent from where we were.

We hadn't been to Tantal in forever, but it hadn't changed much outside of the atmosphere of the people.

It was already cold, as the Tantal area was always strangely cold, but the coldness I really felt was in the attitude of the people. King Zeke Von Genbu was a beloved king and Queen Mòrag Ladair Von Genbu was highly respected as the first Ardanian Queen, however this happened five hundred years ago and the love, respect, and admiration for these two that gave their all to give Alrest a new start has long since diminished.

The streets were lined with people holding signs saying things like "End the Monarchy" and "Down with the Monarchy, I am no one's subject!" They were also slandering anyone who disagreed with them.

"Why are they so hateful?" Mythra asked Gabriel.

"Do any of you know Tantal's history before my dad became king?"

Most of us shook our heads, but Mythra seemed to immediately understand.

Gabriel noticed this and nodded. "After the First Aegis War, Addam Origo, Mythra's first driver, disappeared without a trace. His uncle, High Prince Zettar was left the remaining survivors of Torna," Gabriel explained. "He made a deal with Praetor Amalthus, Malos' first driver, in exchange for a large amount of core crystals every year, he'd hold up a lie of being a descendent of Addam, whom the people adored. This, paired with grieving people, gave birth to the Kingdom of Tantal on a foundation of lies."

"However," Mythra continued. "Tantal's titan, Genbu, became extremely cold due to the excessive core crystal collection. Ether is the very blood of a titan, and core crystals are created inside titans, and taking the amount caused Genbu to go to the verge of death."

"Why didn't Praetor Amalthus stop taking core crystals?!" I questioned.

"Amalthus was evil beyond belief, and his goals were selfish," Mythra explained. "When Zeke found out about his history of lies, and the final explanation on why his knowledge of Addam varied so greatly from ours, he snapped."

Gabriel continued, "When Zeke took the throne, he abolished these lies in the new land of Elysium. With the truth out and Amalthus dead and plenty of land on the new continent of Elysium, he gave Tantal a new chance at being something more than a lie. However media here in Tantal began pointing out all of these lies that Zeke had set straight, and the people have become increasingly cynical towards his rule."