Book IV: Of Princesses and Peons

Chapter XXXIV

I had been trudging through the sand for hours, the sun was beginning to set and in a moment this blazing landscape would become frigid and just as equally unbearable. What's more, I still hadn't found Sheba. The thing about a girl who floats around in a levitating bathtub is that she doesn't exactly make any noise or leave any tracks to follow. I only knew what direction she headed off in, which was towards the crashed vessel, unfortunately it was till miles away, meaning that that vessel was moving much faster than our own could. I then wondered how King Zeke was doing, he had given us that vessel and sent us off, last time we spoke, he wasn't doing the best physically.

"Sheba! Where the hell did you go?!" I called out.

She was a water blade, so I doubt the sun was giving her that much issue, but nightfall would definitely not be good for her. I still wasn't sure why I was so worried about her, she'd betrayed us, tried to sell us off to Adonis! And yet, here I was, trying to find her in the middle of a desert. Why did I do any of the things I did? Why'd I agree to go with Mythra? Why'd I fight through an entire building of soldiers to save her? Why'd I drag Acacia, Rafi, and Gabriel with me? Even if I wasn't in the middle of a desert I didn't recognize, I'd still feel lost.

My thoughts were interrupted by a loud crash and an aggravated scream. It sounded like....

"SHEBA!" I called out as I ran towards it. I was tired, dehydrated, horribly sunburned and felt like I was about to pass out, but yet I ran full speed.

"Peon?!" she said in surprise.

I made it up to her and the weird water spirit who resided in her bathtub holding her either cannon up and blocking the stinger of a gigantic scorpox. The normal scorpoxes were Great Dane-sized, but this one... this one was the size of a small house!

I pulled my gun and loaded my last earth-type bullet into it and shot it in the head, pissing it off more than doing any real damage. I also had just realized I was out of ether bullets and only had normal ones left. Just... great.

"Sheba! I'll need your help! Let's take this thing down!" I yelled, but as the scorpox charged at me, I saw her floating away in her bathtub, not even taking a second look back.

I pulled my sword quickly and dodged it as it slammed its stinger downwards.

"I really hope Acacia and Mythra are having better luck."

...................................

Sonata laughed as she began making sounds into her microphone, increasing her speed and strength. The microphone began playing a loop of the song she had sung through speakers coming somewhere out of her body.

"Stay back Acacia, I will handle this on my own. I am better equipped to handle this task and there is a greater probability we will leave alive," KOS-MOS explained.

"What?!" Acacia yelled. "KOS-MOS no! I won't let you—"

KOS-MOS interrupted her, "You only see me as a weapon, so that is the role I will play. Please stand back."

Sonata giggled. "Oh wow you've got sass to spare, huh?" She causally flipped over her microphone in her hind, revealing the dagger on the other side, it immediately shot up in flames as the air was filled with a very loud metal mix. "Enough talk my robotic assailant, let's dance!"