Book VII: A Master and his Doll

Chapter LI

     "What do you mean you're giving up?!" Sarah asked me.

     I had fallen asleep, and I had almost forgotten she was with me. The black haired girl that only spoke in dreams....

     "I said I'm done! I'm not cut out to be an Aegis driver! Never have been, never will be," I argued.

     She huffed. "Some power inheritor you turned out to be!"

     This only annoyed me. "I didn't inherit Waylon's power!"

     She seemed taken aback.

     "Adonis inherited his power. He had the teal sword and everything!" I pointed out.

     "That's bullshit," Sarah argued.

     "And how would you know?! You're just a random voice inside my head who doesn't ever clarify anything!" I was simply pissed off now. "If you've got some helpful wisdom you're just keeping for yourself then please, enlighten me to your ways Miss Exposition!"

     Now I had done it, her hair and eyes, and even outfit all changed to bright red.

     "Listen here chicken shit!" she started as her features began flaming. "I'm Waylon's first blade, and I'm telling you right now Adonis is so full of shit that it almost drowns out the scent of the pants you probably soiled when you abandoned all of your blades!"

     "Wha—? But his first blade was...."

     "An evil blade of pure destruction who's only desire was to burn the world to nothing so it could be recreated, yes. That's me, I'm Cereza, or... Serena."

     "You killed hundreds...," I said in realization. "You should have died!"

     "No shit Sherlock, but it looks like I didn't. So how about you quit fucking around and actually go get information for yourself!"

     "You're a dark blade... but not you're a fire blade? How does that work?" I questioned.

     Apparently that wasn't the right question. She definitely still wasn't happy.

     "Mind your own damn business and go the Spirit Crucible Elpys, where you found Mythra," she demanded.

     "I'm done! I don't want to be a driver anymore!" I argued as I crossed my arms.

     "Then I don't give a fuck what you do, get the hell out of here," she said before reaching back and slapping me across the face.

...................................

     I shot awake and looked around. Blue skies, old houses, green grass, I was sitting on wooden steps. I... had fallen asleep on Granny's porch.

     I looked out towards Spirit Crucible Elpys, and then I began to think about its name. I had gone in their before, but it sounded like a place made to crush your spirit, a place that forced you to mold yourself by using the fire contained inside that place. To shine through adversity.... That place didn't seem so bad when I went through, but I remember Mythra breathing extremely heavily while she tried to leave. Did it only effect blades?

     I felt like I was being watched. No, not "felt like", I WAS being watched. I focused my eyes as I left my realm of thought and I saw a shadow, one I had seen before. He was watching me, as if he was beckoning me to come closer.

     I met him when I touched Mythra's core crystal for the first time, he carried a teal sword, just like Adonis did.

     "Why won't you just let me live out the rest of my days in peace?!" I asked, or rather, yelled out at it.

     It just stared at me silently, leaving me to my own thoughts.

     I knew what it was doing.... I already had the answer.

     "Because even if I spent the rest of my life trying to move on... I'd never successfully do it...," I said aloud.

     The shadow nodded and disappeared.

     "Fine then, you want to play this game? Let's play," I decided as I made sure I had both my sword and pistol. I then once again descended into Spirit Crucible Elpys.

...................................

     "How is she progressing?" Adonis asked his assistant.

     "Her core crystal injection is working, just as it did with Pyra," he responded with a confident nod.

     Adonis let out a sigh. "And what of the injection strength?"

     "Unfortunately it isn't holding as tightly as Pyra's did, however that's because you broke Pyra's AI through torture, Mythra's will not break so easily, her AI was what Pyra's was based off of. I'm not certain it's even capable of breaking. However she will no doubt obey you," he confirmed.

     I only need her for one measly task, after which she will be useless to me. My plan is nearly complete, and once it is, I can finally get what I want.

     Adonis left his assistant and began walking back to his office. Along the way, a curious Violet made her way to him, and she walked right beside him.

     "What DO you want General?" Violet questioned. "Kidnapping Aegises is fun and all, but what is it you're after?"

     Adonis smiled. "Curiosity killed the cat, Colonel."

     "Oh but satisfaction brought it back General."

     "Fair enough," Adonis admitted as he gathered his thoughts. "I want a world free of the corrupt sin that grips it. Every day, humans destroy and use every part of it, while blades assist them at every turn. The world in and of itself is ugly. By amassing power, I can be the vessel so she can recreate the world."

     "She? General you're not dating are you?" Violet teased.

     "Calm yourself Colonel. I want you to remain here. You will take charge in my coming absence, prep T-Elos and have her ready to assist."

     "You don't think they'd be dumb enough to attack us directly, do you?" Violet asked as she cocked her head to the side.

     "Most of them won't, but one of their members I know can't help themselves, be prepared," Adonis warned.

     "Of course, General. I move without delay."

Readability Level: 11-12th Grade
Time Taken: 2.5 Hours