Chapter twenty-four

Brea, Bella and Jacob are all sitting in the truck, while Bella drove along the La Push cliffs. Brea sat in the middle.....reading a book. Jacob was studying a grease blackened motorcycle crankshaft.

"We got lucky at the dump! You know how much a new crankshaft goes for?" Jacob asked.

"I-uh sure," Brea said, looking up from her book.

"So after I-we fix your bike, Where should we drive it?" Jacob asked.

"Someplace sunny," Brea replied.

"Like there's any place sunny around her," Jacob laughed.

"I-I know a place above the cloud line," Brea said, instantly regretting what she had said.

"Where is it? Jacob asked.

"Actually, it's too hard to get to," Brea sighed, thinking about how her and Edward used to lay in the meadow and talk.

"Okay! It's alright! I'm sure we'll find our sunny spot!" Jacob smiled.

"Actually, I-I was thinking if you and Bella.... Could take it for a spin," Brea replied.

"WHAT?" Bella asked.

"I'm trying to help you out," Brea whispered in her sister's ear.

Bella smiled, knowing what her sister was doing.... Bella turned and looked out the window, staring at the cliff. She froze when she noticed four men were standing on the edge, all were rough housing.

"Isn't that.....Sam Uley?" Bella asked.

"And his cult!" Jacob groaned.

Suddenly two guys throw someone off. Bella slammed on the breaks, jumping out of the truck.

"OH MY GOD, that looks like fun!" Brea said.

"WHAT! NO! STOP THEM!"  Bella screamed.

Bella started to run towards them, but Brea grabbed her arm....pulling her back.

"They're not really fighting, Bella. They're cliff diving!" Jacob laughed.

"What, on purpose?" Bella asked.

Brea turned, looking at Sam....who was staring right back at her, she turned and looked over at Jacob and Bella.

"Most of us jump from lower down," Jacob said.

"I'd like to try it! But from higher up," Brea smiled.

"ARE YOU CRAZY!" Bella yelled.

"Just a little," Brea smirked.

"Man, first motorcycles, now cliff diving?" Jacob asked.

"You said it was a rush," Brea replied.

"Maybe on a warmer day! And not from the top... We'll leave the showing off to Sam and his disciples," Jacob said.

Brea turned and looked at the Cliff.... Feeling the urge to jump off of it.

"Y-You don't like them?" Bella asked, pulling Brea towards the truck.

"They think they run this place! Acting all bad ass, calling themselves 'Protectors'" Jacob frowned.

"What are they protecting?" Brea asked, climbing back into the truck.

"The tribe, the land, their rights to be jerks. Embry use to call them hall monitors on steroids. Now look at him," Jacob said, turning to look at the cliff.

"Then maybe you should avoid them!" Brea replied.

"I try but..." Jacob said but was cut off.

"Hey! If it gets worse, we'll go to my Dad. Or you can come stay with us," Bella smiled.

"Thanks! If this is how you're going to react, I should freak out more often," Jacob blushed, looking at Bella.

                        ****************

Brea started walking towards an empty table, but stopped and sat next to her sister and her friends.... Everyone is staring at her, waiting for her to speak. But realized she wasn't gonna say anything.

"I'll kill Tyler if he gave me his flu," Jessica groaned.

"It's going around. My sister was so sick she couldn't come on our hike this weekend....so she didn't see it," Angela frowned.

"Ang, maybe you should keep that to yourself," Eric whispered.

"We saw something, Eric," Angela said.

"I believe you!" Eric replied.

"No he doesn't! He's just trying to get lucky," Jessica frowned.

"Is that an option?" Eric asked.

"It was jet black and huge! On all fours it was still taller than a person. A Bear maybe," Angela said.

"Or big foot!" Jessica added.

"Or an alien," Mike also added.

"Maybe it was just a bear," Bella sighed.

"W-we saw it!" Angela whispered.

"You're not the only one," Brea spoke up.

Everyone stared back at her.....

"Did Brea just speak," Mike thought.

"Our dad has been getting reports at the sheriff's station. A couple of hikers went missing, People are scared," Brea sighed.

Angela looked at Brea and smiled.