Lying

"Listen, y/n, I'm sorry Nicky's being such a jerk," Dawn apologizes after school as I sit down in her room. I nod. 

"Do you have any idea why?" I ask. 

"No, but it definitely started in Grade 8." Dawn points her finger in the air. "I wonder why then?" she wonders aloud. 

"I have no clue." I shrug helplessly. "But I wish he didn't." 

"Do you like him?" She asks bluntly. I do a double-take. 

"Huh?" 

"You heard me..." 

"I-I, I don't kn-. No. He's a complete jerk," I lie. Why does she always ask such hard questions.

"Mhmm," she nods sarcastically. 

"DAWN." I groan. "Can we not talk about this right now. 

"Fine, fine," she holds her hand up in the air. 

"Thank you," I sigh, getting up and going to her door. 

"Where are you going?" She asks, sitting up from the floor. 

"I have to get home now," I explain, grabbing my bag. 

"What? You just got here..." She groans. "Why don't you stay for a sleepover?"

"Uh..." I trail off, trying to think of reasons why I shouldn't stay over. Well, obviously I don't want to sleep in the same house as my 'enemy/crush'. 

"It'll be fun!" Dawn persists. 

"Uh..." 

"I'll play that stupid game that you like," Dawn suggests, raising her eyebrows. Oh. That game. My favorite video game of all time. 

"Jeez. I don't know," I shake my head. 

"I'll let you put f/t (favorite topping) on the popcorn?" Dawn puts her hand on my shoulder. 

"Fine," I sigh. I might as well do something with her today. I don't think I feel comfortable around the Quads anymore with Nicky hanging over my shoulder making fun of me and telling me what I'm doing wrong. 

"Great!" Dawn claps her hands like a seal. 

"I'm just going to head to my house and grab some stuff." I explain. 

"Sure," Dawn nods and starts throwing stuffed animals off her to make room. 

I rush down the stairs, but not without bumping into Nicky. Of course. He's sitting at the bottom of the stairs playing on his phone. 

"Oh," I jump, almost flying into him. 

"Would you watch where you're going?" He glares. For like the millionth time. 

"Listen, Nicky. I don't know what you're problem is with me. We used to be friends." Nicky tries to interrupt but I'm on a roll. "I hate that you ignore me, and make fun of me." 

"Well technically making fun of you is talking to you.." He smirks. 

"Nicky." I groan. 

"Nicky, whatever you're doing to y/n, stop. You're ruining my life." Dawn storms down the stairs, apparently having heard us arguing. 

"Whatever," Nicky drawls, storming up the stairs to his room, which is in between Dawn and Ricky's room. 

"Thanks," I say to her, walking to the door and leaving the Harper house. I should feel glad that she stopped that awkward conversation before it got too heated. But for some reason, I feel disappointed. 

I pull together a quick bag of clothes and a toothbrush before rushing back to the Harpers' house. 

"Hey y/n," Dicky winks at me as I enter the house. 

"Uh, hi?" I raise an eyebrow at him. 

"So I was wondering if you would consider going out with me?" Dicky smiles. 

"WHAT THE HELL DICKY?" Nicky appears on the stairwell, yet again interrupting my peaceful mood. 

"What's wrong, bro?" Dicky looks confused. "Why do you have such a problem with y/n going out with me?" 

"Hold up, Dicky I never said I would." I look between the two of them. 

"Awwww..." Dicky pouts. 

"Dicky, you're such a player!" I say. 

"Yeah," he agrees running  a hand through his hair. 

"WILL YOU TWO PLEASE STOP HARASSING MY FRIEND?" Dawn appears from her room. 

"We weren't doing anything," Nicky defends, glaring at her. 

"Oh yeah?" Dawn argues. 

"It's fine." I wave my hand and lug my bag up the stairs to Dawn's room. 

"You have no idea what it's like living with three brothers." Dawn vents. 

"Actually, I kinda do, considering I basically live here most of the time." I roll my eyes. 

"I guess so." Dawn nods. "But they're always getting in my way whenever I try to do anything alone." 

"I understand." I say. "Hey, do you know why Nicky tried to stop Dicky from asking me out?" I ask. 

"Dicky asked you out?" Dawn looks incredulous. 

"Yeah," I say. "But I said no." 

"Of course you did," Dawn nods approvingly. "I don't know. Maybe Nicky wants you to go out with him?" 

"Why would he want that?" I shake my head. "He definitely hates me." 

"I don't think he hates you," Dawn rolls her eyes. 

"Tell that to his attitude." I turn around. 

"Pffft, he's just trying to hide his true feelings," Dawn holds her hands in front of her heart. 

"Shut up."