Chapter 2: Life is unpredictable

"Let's go, it's getting too late, you won't be able to catch the bus" Gulf said to Bright in a concerning tone. Internship was not assigned based on your house location at all, henceforth Bright had to travel at least an hour by bus to reach his destination. Gulf on the other hand lived 30 minutes by car but since he didn't have a car it took him the same amount of time by bicycle.

Mornings at the office were early, interns reporting time was 7:00 am, meetings start after 8:00 am once the senior staff would arrive. The one hour was given to the intern to arrange the meeting papers, reports and preparing coffee for the meeting.

Gulf felt bad for Bright, by the time he would reach it would be around 1:00 am and he would have to wake up by 5:30 am to catch the 5:45 am train to reach the office by 7:00 am. Gulf had repeatedly told Bright to either rent an apartment near work or stay with him, to which he refused both because he didn't want to leave his mom and sister alone. As the only man of the house, he felt that he needed to protect his family. His family conditions were not the best. He wasn't poor neither was he rich. Renting an apartment was out of question. He not only supported himself but also his sister who was still in high school. There was never a day when Bright didn't go home even when his mother told him its okay, he still wouldn't stay out with his friends. Mama's boy, his friends would call him but no one knew what was hidden behind the smiling face he showed to everyone.

Gulf's condition on the other hand wasn't any better than Bright's. His father had retired due to a medical incident and his mother worked jobs to support the family. He vowed to give his all to his family once he started working so that his mother can rest and take care of her health and his sisters'. His sister was a sweet heart who worked part-time so that she could earn the money for books and such for college. Being scholarship students helped them cover the college expenses.

Gulf sat on the table eating the now heated food and prepared to head to bed after a comfy shower. Shower was the best way to release stress, he always believed that by taking showers, all the tension will flow down with the water into the drain and he will be fresh for the next day.

In the morning, packing his bag , Gulf kissed his mom and dad and headed to work. He reached at the same time Bright had and, boy oh boy, Bright looked like a panda. They headed to their desk to complete the revision prior to the meeting and submitted the work to Puifai for cross checking, Gulf then dragged Bright to the in-company clinic and shoved him to the bed.

"Sleep, I'll cover for you" Gulf ordered his friend and left the room to go back.

The meeting was long and boring and Puifai took all the credit for the work that they did and Gulf was in no position to complain as he felt that no one would believe him.

"I organized all the proposal, since 2012 along with the changes that can be done and the few endorsements that were mentioned, I hope it's up to par" Puifai said with her nose held up high.

"You did this work,...." Supervisor Green said "Alone" he emphasized on the last word

"Yes sir, I did it alone" she said, waiting to get compliment from her supervisor

"Meet me in my office" he said to Puifai as he left the room followed by the other staff members.

"I am definitely gonna get a raise" Puifai cooed as she passed Gulf with her other colleagues.

Gulf was least bothered by what was happening, all he cared was for his friend who was in the infirmary due to overwork, Bright was not weak, but the work given to them was overwhelming for the past 3 days.

Gulf headed to get some lunch for himself and Bright and then headed to the infirmary. On his way he was texting Bright when he bumped into a group of people.

Bang!!!! And the food was spilled on both himself and the person in front of him. The person in front of him stood still watching Gulf simmer around to get the food off his clothes whilst apologizing profusely.