Chapter 1: Life has its turn

The sun was setting indicating that the morning shift was coming to an end. The rays hit Gulf's desk reflecting on his laptop. He quickly typed the last few words of the proposal and saved his work on his company's laptop. Should he send his work now or later, he contemplated for a few minutes and then decided that he would do that tomorrow as the deadline was still a week away.

"Are you done?" Bright asked. Bright was Gulf's desk mate, high school friend, and his best friend.

"Yeah, I have finished. What about you?" He asked

"Two more pages remaining........" Bright replied "would you..."

"Pass me a paper.... I'll help you type it out so that we can go together" Gulf smiled and extended his arm over to receive the paper that Bright was trying to finish.

The keyboards from both the desks didn't stop until they had finished. Gulf then send the folder over to Bright so that he could finalize his proposal. Once they were done, they decided to grab coffee before heading to the game they had scheduled with their college friends.

Bang!! A stack of blue folders appeared on the table. Both of them looked up to see their direct supervisor Puifai with crossed hands glaring at them.

"Where do you two interns think you are going?, complete this before you leave" she pointed at the folders

Both the interns stared at her like she was a creature from Pluto.

"Supervisor Puifai, we have a prior appointment with a few friends from college, can we delay this work till tomorrow" Gulf inquired sincerely.

"You think you are in the position to ask for early leave, don't forget that this is your first week and you are under my direct supervision, one word of mouth and forget your permanent employment after your probation period and graduation" she spoke in a rigid tone

Bright and Gulf exchanged looks and settled to complete the work that was given to them. Puifai left them and went back to her post. Little did she know that someone was monitoring her as well.

Bright called their friends and excused from the friendly match. He did earn a mouthful from his friends but he couldn't lose all his hard work due to his match.

Gulf and Bright were in their last semester of college and both of them applied to the largest firm in their country hoping to get hired, they did but they were assigned to the branch company rather than the headquarters as they had hoped. Though they were disappointed but the branch was better than nothing. They both got in together and swore that they would climb the corporate ladders with their own power. The last 3 months it was mandatory to work as an intern no matter where they wanted because it was a requirement of their college to graduate.

MSJC was a leading business firm in the country. Everyone wanted to work there. They led the automobile, IT, real estate and medical fields. It started as a dream of a young individual and turned into a multinational company within 2 years and it was still growing to this day. The pay was high and mind you even the interns get payed during their time there along with intern retreats. Interning might be easy but hiring wasn't. Employees were hand picked and the graduation degree didn't mean much to them. The turnover rate was less than 0.1%.

By the time Gulf and Bright had finished their work it was pitch black outside. The time indicated 11:30 pm. They wrapped up the last bit and left the revision for tomorrow.

Gulf got up and stretched his arm as wide as he could, cracking some nitrogen bubbles in his shoulder joints. Bright looked at him and copied him only to hit a passerby. He turned around and apologized.

"Senior Mild, I am sorry" Bright looked at him and apologized

"It's fine, I know its not easy for you guys...... if you are done you can go.... And don't call me senior, consider me a friend like in college" he said and left

Yes, Mild was Gulf and Bright's senior in college. Hyperactive, intuitive or nosy were the words they describe his as. To this day it was a mystery how Mild even got hired here. One day they would ask him, one day they thought.