Chapter - 45 Tears of healing...

"Where is the problem now?" he asked getting impatient. This girl was heaven sent just to drive him crazy, he realised.

"You. You are the problem. You never trust people especially when it comes to women. You treat them as a liability. You loathe women. And there are even times when that dislike is very visible in your eyes. Maybe you despise me too. I don't want to come back to see disgust in your eyes every time you look at me." she said shaking her head.

His hands dropped from her arms and he took a step back. He ran his long fingers through his hair and laughed. A laugh which was devoid of any humour. It sounded kinda...sad.

"To think that you realised that I am not very fond of the opposite sex is surprising because you always look so oblivious to your surroundings. But how can you say...how can you even assume that I felt the same towards you? Hmm? Ms Rose? Did you really left your brain at my office before coming here?" he asked sarcastically.

Not my brain but my heart, she had wanted to say.

He turned his back towards her and Eva stood there leaning against the lift doors.

"My mom died when I was five." Liam's words caught her attention. He turned around and leaned against the wall opposite to her. He lowered his head as he continued, " I don't remember her that well but there are just some blurred images that always pop into my head when I think about her."

Even though she couldn't see his eyes but there was a sadness in his voice. Then a very slow smile appeared on his lips. A smile that didn't reach his eyes, she noticed.

"She died giving birth to a son."

Eva frowned. She had never heard about it ever before. The information about his family was just limited to his grandparents and father. There was no site that even showed a picture of his mother or mentioned the name of his brother but she kept quiet and listened as he continued, "Yeah, I had a brother. When I held him for the first time he was this small." he said looking at his hands as if reliving that moment.
"He was so tiny and delicate. After my mom's death, my father engrossed himself in his work. He never had time for us." He took a deep breath and closing his eyes he rested his head against the wall.

"You blame him?" Eva asked softly.

He gave a small smile as he opened his eyes. But his gaze felt as if it was focused at a distant object.
"No. I never hated him. Maybe his love for mom was so much that to run away from her memories he chose to drown himself in his work. He never married again." he took a deep breath as he continued, "My grandmother looked after us but then by the time I turned ten she had to leave the states and go to London because of some urgent matters. When she left I realised how much I had grown to love her."

Eva could see the warmth in his eyes as he talked about his grandmother. The same love that she had seen in his eyes on every occasion when he met the old lady.

"My dad was never there for any of our school functions. It was always just me and my brother. With every passing day we became more and more close. We were more like best friends than siblings. We never kept any secret from each other and when I turned 21 I started to help my father with the business. When my brother started college he met a girl. He was completely besotted by her. He used to talk about her day and night." Eva noticed that the warmth which she had seen earlier in his eyes was now lost and looking at him she felt as if she was looking at a cold block of ice.

"I'd always looked after him since the day he was born. I had sworn to protect him. When I realised that he was really into her I asked him to introduce us. I wanted to see what kind of girl had stole my little brother's heart." he clenched his jaw and closed his hand into a tight fist at his sides.