Chapter - 18 What's on his mind?

"Do you think I will let you go that easily? Hmm, Ms Rose?"

All the blood drained from her body.
'Is he going to kill me?' She gasped.

"Are you going to kill me?" she asked looking clearly horrified even at the thought of it.

"What!?" Liam was bewildered now.

"That's why you sent Alex out to wait in the car so that you could kill me and then dispose my body somewhere."

Liam was speechless now. He couldn't decide whether to laugh at the hyperactive imagination of this woman... something he rarely did or to strangle her till her teeth rattle and she gain some sense or maybe actually do what she had suggested. Fire her of course! not killing her!

He took a step towards her and she hurriedly to took a step back. This made him stop where he was.

"Is that all you can think about me, Ms  Evangeline Rose?  Why don't you try controlling your wild imagination at least a little?"
Putting his hands in the pockets of his trousers he continued.
"More over, this is New York and not some isolated land! Where do you think I can "dispose" your body?"

" I don't know." she frowned as if actually thinking the answers to that question. "You are a famous billionaire and so... so no one will stop your car for checking if you were to put my body in it. No one will believe that you could do such bad thing. A crime actually. You might dispose my body off in a swamp or somewhere like that maybe." She sucked air into her lungs horrified at this thought turning into a reality.

"Damn Ms Rose! You are testing my patience now!" Liam was very angry now. She was taking him as a murderer! "Don't tell me you actually found some time to read a murder mystery novel."

"Er- No." she quickly turned her head away avoiding his gaze.
'How come he realised I was reading a crime thriller? Are there any cameras in my house?'

"Even though I never thought about it," said Liam, his words attracting Eva's   attention,"but now I guess I should give it a thought."
His words took away what colour was left in her body. She could feel blood evaporating from her body.

"But I guess murder is illegal in this country?" he said.

"Ofcourse it is illegal! It's a crime!"

He again took a step forward and she took a step backward.
"Ms Evangeline Rose, you really need to leash the horses of your wild imagination. They are running wild. Too  wild."

It took minutes for realization to sink into her brain.
"So... so you are not going to kill me?"

"Hell no! Even if I want to, I can't!"

"And you are not firing me either?"

"No." Liam looked exasperated.

She finally felt relief rushing in her blood vessels. The amount of relief was so much that her knees felt wobbly and weak. She was about to collapse on the floor if it wasn't for Liam reacting just in  time and rushing to her.

He pulled her by her wrist and held her close to his body. Supporting her small body against his large frame. It all happened so quickly that Eva wondered if she was hallucinating all this. But his heart beats told her that it was all pretty much real! She could even smell his colongue and his unique body smell. She turned redder by every passing minute.

She quickly pushed him away and created some distance between them because breathing near Liam Richardson was an impossible task.

"Ms Evangeline Rose, be there in office tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. sharp and don't be late because -"

"You hate latecomers." she completed his sentence.

"Good. At least other than a wild imagination you have a good memory."
He turned around and headed towards the door.

Finally when she heard the door shut behind him she took a lungful of air and collapsed on the ground.
"God! I need to stop reading crime thriller or I'll definitely go crazy."

~~~~~~~~

It was 8:30 in the morning and Eva was sitting in her small cabin. She couldn't sleep a wink the previous night after Liam had left. Even when she had finally managed a few minutes of sleep she was woken up by a nightmare in which Liam  was holding the butcher's knife. His eyes were looking murderous just like a lion who was out on hunt.
'No he was looking more like a monster. A handsome monster though.' she mumbled to herself. 'But whatever it is, he was looking quite eager to cut me in a thousand pieces. But then again it isn't really his fault because it was me who poked and annoyed the beast inside him."

She rested her head on the table and sighed,"God! I am ruined."

*Knock * knock*

As she heard the Knock at the door she got up quickly. Her movement was so quick that she had to shake head to bring the person in front into focus.

"Eva, are you alright?"

She had thought it would be Liam but it turned out to be Alex.

"Yeah. I am ok."

He had a file in one hand and a steaming cup of coffee in another. He came in and sat opposite to her.
"What happened yesterday? Liam was looking really angry."

'Should I tell him or not?' Eva wondered. 'Well, he is friends with Liam for a long time so I don't think he will tell anyone else. Moreover I can even ask him for his advice on how to make up for my mistake.'

"Eva, are you going to tell me?" Alex interrupted her train of thoughts.

"Er..Well it actually," Eva had no idea from where to start.
" I thought Mr Liam Richardson was gay."

Alex choked on the coffee he was drinking and in between those coughs he managed to say one word - "What!?"

Finally, he ended up laughing.
"Seriously! Eva, where did you get that Idea from?"
He was still laughing but Eva wasn't because she couldn't. How could she when she was the one whose idiotic hyperactive imagination had caused all this trouble.

"I thought he was in a relationship with you." she said finally completing her sentence.