Chapter - 7 The weekend

(First things first...thank you so much guys bcz of you my 1st book "The forced bride of Rodriguez" has achieved 3M+ views!! Thanks 😊❤️)

Now back to the story....

"What's so funny on your computer screen, Miss Evangeline Rose?" The cold and now very familiar voice pulled her from her reveries and she landed on earth with a thud.

Tall, broad shouldered and lean hipped  Mr CEO who was ogled by every other female in the company was standing in front of her. His distinctive blue green eyes skewered her to the spot almost as if  today's bad weather was all her fault.
All the blood rushed to her face, her heartbeat quickened and she felt breathless. She hated that she was so aware of him.

She opened her mouth to speak even when she was sure that she can definitely not say,'Oh! I was just daydreaming about you.'

But lucky for her he bit out before she could even utter a single word.
"Come to my office, Miss Rose."

She followed him to his office and watched him coming back around the other side of his desk. He gestured impatiently for her to sit down, not even glancing her way.
'Of course, the arrogant Mr Richardson doesn't want to catch the sight of someone as lowly as me. Then why the heck he moved me to this floor! Where even the oxygen depletes especially when he is around!'

She took the seat quietly and willed her heart beat to slow at least a little. She tucked her legs demurly under the chair and placed her hands on her lap.

Liam stood behind his desk, hands deep in the pockets of his trousers. He looked at the demurly bent head of his secretary's assistant.

She was hard working and a quick learner. A rare quality, he realised. He was used to women throwing themselves at him just at the snap of his fingers but this one...she would just avoid any eye contact as if he was the Predator who would eat her up alive. She was strange. He concluded. But around her he was acting stranger. He had always kept women at least at 5 feet distance specially after that incident but then why he welcomed her to this floor which was used just by him. A question he had no answer of.

The object and reason of his lately strange behaviour looked up at him quizzically wondering why he wasn't saying anything. He was mad! Mad at himself as he wasn't used to being rendered speechless like this. Not used to feel stranger in his own body, in his own office.

Eva looked up at her boss and the heart which had finally decided to work normally started feeling feverish again. The intensity with which he was looking at her made her think for a moment, 'Is he may be interest- No! He's definitely glowering at me!'

"Sir?" She said trying to sound cool and calm. After a long moment of silence he finally bit out.
" Alex has gone to meet a client so I need you to review this file and submit it to me before you leave today." He said  placing a file in front of her.

"Ok."

"And get me a cup of Americano."

"Yes, Sir."
She after giving him his coffee went back to work. She had worked this whole week. There was so much work that she couldn't even meet her friends for lunch but now after a tiring week the weekend  was finally coming.

She was happy and had already planned what she would do this weekend.
"Just eat and sleep and eat and sleep. I am just gonna repeat this cycle."

She completed her files by the end of the day and went to Liam's office. He was still working.

"You may check the file, Sir." she said placing the files in front of him.
"And if there's nothing else then-"

"Wait." He stopped her mid- sentence. "Take this with you and review all these files this weekend. I want them complete on Monday." He said placing around 10 files on the table.

Eva wanted to scream,shout and cry at the same time. 'You are a workaholic robot but I am not! I am a human being who gets tired and needs a good sleep of at least 8 hours.'

She could see her eat and sleep cycle getting punctured. 'What did I do so wrong in my previous life that now I have to work with this heartless capitalist?'  She wondered.

She nodded her head and took the files in her arm and left quietly. She was sure if she dared to open her mouth at the moment she would end up crying or shouting at him. The former was what her heart and brain needed at the moment. Their emotional 5 minutes or maybe five hours to cry her grief. Or maybe she could cry at her bad luck. And the later was what she couldn't afford.

~×~×~×~×~×~
Scene change
~×~×~×~×~×~

"Why did you gave her the position of my assistant?" asked Alex while enjoying his wine sitting in one of the famous clubs owned by Liam in New York.

"You looked overworked." Liam replied as if looking into a space.

Alex snorted,"Really? How come you never showed me this kind and thoughtful gesture ever before?" When Liam didn't answer Alex continued,"You  used to stay away from women. Always said that they are noisy."

"She is quiet and hardworking."

"Just that?"

"Seems intelligent." Liam replied while swirling the wine in his glass.

"Why are you involving her in this project? You never trust anyone especially ones from the opposite sex."

"I don't know." Liam replied frowning as if deep into thoughts. "Maybe I am searching for an answer."

"Now a days your talks have become way too mysterious and stranger for me to understand." said Alex while pouring some wine into his glass. "Why are you being so cruel to Eva?"

"Eva?" Liam looked at Alex, surprised. "You call her Eva?"

"Yes. She told me to do so. To me she seems like a nice girl."

Liam didn't say anything but just gulped the vodka shot which was placed in front of him.
"She needs to work if she want to stay in the company."

"Yeah but she is already doing more than needed. You don't need to over work her."

" If she can't handle even this little of pressure then she should just quit." replied Liam looking into the crowd at the dance floor when something caught his eyes making him frown.

"Seriously? You are just-"
Liam ignored Alex and walked to the one who had caught his attention. She seemed quite familiar. He tapped at the shoulder of the girl who was standing with her back towards him.

"Yes?-" she said while turning to look at him.

Who do you think she is? 🤨