Chapter - 42 The Misunderstanding...

Liam gave one deadly glance to Jack and holding Eva by her hand he pulled her with him to the party hall and finally without attracting too much of attention they headed towards the exit. For the first time in her life Eva didn't mind being pulled by someone like this. Rather she was feeling greatful at the moment because the incident from few minutes ago had made her go weak in the knees.

They got into the lift but Liam didn't let go of her hand. Neither he looked at her nor he said a word but Eva could feel the air crackle with tension. With her head down she slowly lifted her eyes and looked at their reflection in the closed lift doors. He had clenched his jaw and his eyes told her of a coming storm. The air of menace was making her feel sick and nervous.

Finally the lift doors opened and pulling her by her hand he started walking. His eyes were focused somewhere in front rather than looking and taking pity on the one whom he was dragging so mercilessly, without even noticing that the person was now failing to keep up with his long strides, Eva sighed. She wanted to say something, anything to calm him down but the words had deserted her. Finally when they walked past her room she frowned and looked at him.

"Mr Richardson, where are we going?" she asked but he didn't reply.

He opened the door to his suite and pushed her inside before entering himself and closing the door behind them. Eva looked at him in shock.

"What was going on there?" he asked. His voice sounded of suppressed anger.

"N- Nothing." Eva answered trying to answer properly without stuttering but failing to do so. She had no intention of raising his anger now because the man in front of her was still a mystery to her and she had no idea what he would do if she said the truth.

"Really?" he narrowed his eyes and walked closer to her. She took a step back and her back hit the wall. He was standing so close to her that she could feel the heat from his body.

"You are a terrible liar, Miss Rose. So tell me honestly, how do you know him?"

She looked up in those angry blue green eyes and answered,"I don't know him."
She felt his body ease a little. She then lowered her head and continued,"The only thing I know about him is that his name is Jack."

He pulled her by her arm and made her look up at him.
"You said you don't know him then how come do you know his name?"

If anger had a face then it would be of this man standing in front of her, Eva gulped.

" I just know his name but nothing else."

"And why do you know his name?"

"Because he told me his name."

"Why did he tell you his name?"

Irritated, she looked at him and pursed her lips. His interrogation was now making her angry.
"In human society, people introduce themselves when they meet each other for the first time, Mr Richardson. I hope you know that."

"I am not in the mood for your sarcastic comebacks." he said as his grip tightened on her arm.
"What business did you two have behind my back, Miss Evangeline Rose? Huh?"

''You are being ridiculous now." she looked at him angrily. Her eyes matching the fumes in his.
"What business would I have with him? Other than his name I don't know anything else about him."

He looked at her for what felt like an eternity to her before finally relaxing his grip on her arm. He looked at her with guarded eyes as he asked,"So you met him for the first time here in the party. Right?"

She was glad that he had finally relaxed. Not wanting to go in detail and go for another round of interrogation answering his thousand and one questions about what she was doing in the lobby early in the morning and what she had talked about with this stranger, she let him believe that his conclusion was right.