Chapter - 21 The business dinner

"Am I looking that good, Ms Evangeline Rose, that you can't take your eyes off me?" he asked smirking.

'Holy cow!' she hadn't realised that she was still staring him. She quickly turned her head to the other side looking out of the window so that she could hide the embarrassing blush of her cheeks.

The car had already started moving through the busy roads of New York city.

"By the way, Ester did a great job on you." said Liam.

She turned her head to look at him as she couldn't understand the meaning behind his words. But when his sentence finally registered in her brain she was angry.
'Do I look so bad that I need layers of makeup and expensive dresses to look good?'

She raised her chin defiantly and said,"If that's the way you compliment others then you need to work harder, Mr Richardson."
She turned to look in front, her eyes focused on the road.

"What I really meant was since the raw material was good her job hadn't been too difficult. In short you look beautiful, Miss Rose."

'Was that a compliment?' she frowned and turned to look into those blue green eyes thinking to find some sarcasm hidden behind them but No! His eyes looked genuine just like his words were.

Her cheeks turned pink at that compliment.

"You don't look bad either, Mr Richardson." she said.

"If that's the way you compliment, Miss Rose then you need to work harder."

'Did he just threw my words back at me?' she frowned before smiling sweetly.
"Well... I thought you were already used to hearing phrases like 'Oh! Mr Richardson, you look gorgeously handsome, a man in his prime, smart and attractive managing this huge business empire on his own! Your intelligence is unparalleled, Mr Liam.'"

She heard a chuckle and that was when she realised she was blabbering. Again!

'Damn you Eva!' She quickly covered her mouth,"I can't believe I did that again!"

"I assure you, you did." his eyes were laughing.

"I- I am sorry but whenever I am nervous I just start blabbering my thoughts out loud. Things I know I shouldn't speak."

"Well...I wasn't really complimented this way. Ever. Miss Rose. And honestly I had no idea that I was 'A gorgeously handsome man in my prime' and 'I have an unparalleled intelligence'."

She had always heard that 'Good looking men are trouble' and she realised it's meaning today. From the moment he was sitting beside her her cheeks were turning pink with every second that ticked by but right now they were red! Just a compliment from him or a little bit of teasing the pale colour of her cheeks would turn to pink and then to red. She could feel the heat on her cheeks.

' God! someone just shoot me so that I could be excused from this conversation!'

"You don't need to embarrass me more than I already am feeling."

"And why are you embarrassed?" he was enjoying himself now.

"Maybe we should talk about more important things like what I should do and not do in this business gathering." she tried to change the topic of their conversation.

"You just need to remember three things.  First, don't compliment other men there."

"Why?" she asked.

He turned his upper body a little towards her and said looking into her eyes,"Ms Rose has no sense of danger or the thoughts that can cross a man's mind after hearing your words."

"What?"

"Second, keep the horses of your wild imagination leashed."

"Ok."

"And third, Just stay by my side."

'Stay by my side...' those words repeated themselves in her head. If they were in a different situation, in a different relationship then these words would have sounded really romantic, she thought to herself.

Just then the car pulled to a stop and the driver interrupted,"We have arrived, Sir."

Liam turned to Eva and said,"Don't worry yourself that much and Just stay by my side. This is a business gathering and everyone is here to make profits and earn some deals so-"

"I won't spill any beans about our business. Though I don't think I know any of  your secret deals." she laughed nervously.
"But still I'll be on my guard."

"Good." He smiled and got off the car while the driver helped her out.

Liam extended his hand towards her and she took it willingly. The warmth of his hand eased her nervousness and was making her feel safe. It was strange to feel that way especially when this feeling of safety was coming from a man who had always intimidated her.

But right now the biggest mission was to be on her best behaviour so as not to get kicked out of the company due her stupid mistake. She looked at Liam who gave her a slow smile and together they started walking towards the entrance.

Just 5 minutes had passed since their arrival and Liam was already surrounded by other businessmen some of whom looked young heirs of their family businesses. They started talking about profits, loss, stocks etc. listening earnestly to each and every word that dropped from Liam's lips.

She was watching him from a distance when she heard some noise... it was a growl from her stomach. She quietly looked around her and lucky for her that no one seemed to notice that little protest of her stomach. She hadn't eaten all day. A cold Sandwich and a glass of juice were her only breakfast especially since the time she had started working for Liam. All day long she was dragged from one shop to another so that the end result could meet up the expectations of the great Liam Richardson.

She looked around and her eyes finally found the food counter. She headed towards it trying her best to walk and not run. The aroma from the food was filling her nostrils. She started with the snacks. Ever since she had started working for the capitalist Liam Richardson eating food was just about filling her stomach and keep going. She had even forgotten how to enjoy food.

Maybe working for him had also affected her appetite because with just a few snacks her stomach was already full. But before leaving the food counter she decided to taste the dessert as it was looking super delicious. She had taken just one bite of the dark chocolate pastry when a male voice called her name.

"Eva!"

It was so unexpected and sudden that she chocked on the bite she had in her mouth.

Who is disturbing her dessert time? 🤨