Chapter - 6 I'm watching you...

"Every breath You take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step You take
I'll be watching you..."
-CCTV

Hours passed when someone tapped on her shoulder.

"Hey Eva, what are you doing? You've sitting here for more than 3 hours now and I called you so many times but you didn't answer."

"Oh! Hi Bob, I am so sorry I was just so engrossed in my work that I didn't hear you."

Three hours had passed and she hadn't noticed.

"You need help?" she asked.

Bob smiled. "Yeah. I just needed you to go through these papers for me. Actually I took a leave last week and because of that so much work has piled up. If you  help me with this then I'll treat you to a meal."

"Then be sure not to act like a miser because I'm gonna eat a lot." Eva teased  and they both laughed.

Just then the phone on her desk started ringing. She picked up the receiver and before she could even utter a single word someone just barked his order.
"Come to my office Ms Evangeline Rose. Now."

'Liam Richardson! What does he want now?'
She was sure something was wrong. She realised whenever he was mad at her he would call her full name, Miss Evangeline Rose. As if he was going to state some punishment. She could feel the chills down her spine.
'What did I do now?' She wondered

"Hey, What happened? Who was it?"   Bob asked.

" I'll do your work. Don't worry but I gotta go now." She avoided his question and got up quickly and taking the files with her she rushed to the lift.

'Maybe he wants to ask about how is the work going.'

She opened the door to CEO's office and asked for his permission.

"May I come in?"
He was sitting on his chair and she could see the piles of files spread in front of him. He looked at her and Eva saw a look of annoyance in those blue-green eyes.

" I think you are already in, Miss Evangeline Rose."

She looked down at her feet and realised in her hurry she hadn't paid any attention to this and had forgot to knock.
'Crap!' 
A guilty blush stained her cheeks.
"I- I am sorry."

"Come in."

She entered his office and stood in front of him.

"What were you doing?"

"Working. Mr Alex has given me a file to work upon so-"

"As far as I know Alex only gave you a red file. Then what's that other file doing in your hand?"

She looked at the files in her hands and realised that she had mistakenly brought the file that Bob had given her to work upon. 'Damn me!.'

"That..umm.." she tried to come up with a reasonable, suitable and above all a believable excuse but her mind had gone blank. She just couldn't think of even a single excuse. This was always the case with her whenever she tried to lie, Liam noticed.

"I am not paying others to come and give their attendance and do nothing. If I find you doing other people's work  again then I'll fire them. You have been appointed to work for Alex and me. And now that's all you need to do."

"Ok, Sir. I'll remember that."
'Amelia was right. This person doesn't have a conscience. Firing people just like that...WAIT! When my sixth sense was screaming about me being watched... that wasn't a hallucination. It was he who was watching me!' Angry colour stained her cheeks.

"You want to say something?" He asked.

'Oh yeah. I have a question. Was it you who was watching me all the time?' she had wanted to ask but then decided to quit it as he might just be watching everyone on that floor after all he is the boss. He pays and so he needs to make sure that people actually work.
'But this guy is strange.'

She got back to her work and managed to finish the file by 6:00 p.m. She submitted the file to Alex and asked if he needed anything else.

"No that would be all. You can leave now."

After making the necessary changes she returned Bob's file. Finally she stepped out of the company and took a long deep breath.

'First day of working under Liam Richardson wasn't easy. I used to feel tired before too but not this much as I am feeling today.' she thought to herself.
'Ok forget it. I should start thinking the plot of my first story that I am planning to write. Maybe I can write about a monster who derive his pleasure from torturing people or maybe I can write about an arrogant CEO who is a true jerk.  But whatever may be the case, Liam Richardson fits both the description.'
She laughed to herself but her laughter was lost by a surprised gasp and a look from a stranger which stated, " Girl, Are you crazy?"

'God! I forgot again I am in public. Idiot Eva, stop this habit of talking to yourself and behave like a normal human at times like this at least!'

Next Day...
Next day when she reported to CEO's office she was given a very unexpected gift/ surprise.
Her work had now been shifted to 50th floor. The floor that was exclusive to Liam and Alex was where she was now going to work now. She wasn't sure how to feel about it. Happy? or Sad? But she was surprised for sure.

After coming to this floor she had realised three things.
First. All the cells in her body were always on high alert whenever Liam was around. The moment Liam stepped out of his office she could feel his presence without even looking at him. This was strange as something like this had never happened to her ever before. But nowadays her waking hours spent working for Liam and avoiding his gaze or any interaction to him while her sleeping hours were haunted by those piercing blue green eyes.

Second thing she had realised about this young and handsome man was that he was a cold blooded perfectionist. He was fastidious and nitpicky who wanted everything to be perfect. This realisation had came from a first hand experience she had just 2 days ago when Liam had called her to his office and placing the two files she had just submitted in front of her on the table he had said,'' You bring me this kind of work? There's an error of decimal on page 24 of this file and you need to review page 15 of this one again."
And she had to review both the files again just for correcting that single mistake and making sure he doesn't call for her again.

Third thing that she had realised was that even though she had thoughts of making him the protagonist of her new story but alas! Hers was a romance novel and this man was the tragedy! It was hard to imagine him saying,''You are the only girl in my life and I care about you and you alone."

The lines were romantic but the thought of him saying it made her chuckle.

"What's so funny in your computer screen, Miss Evangeline Rose?" The cold and now very familiar voice pulled her from her reveries and now she landed on earth with a thud.

What excuse will she give? 🤔