Chapter - 9 The Concert

Someone caught hold of her wrist. She turned around to find a smiling Amelia.

"Hey stranger, What's up?"
Eva smiled back. "Hi Amelia."

"Where were you all these days? Do you remember the last time we had lunch together was about hundred years ago?"

Eva laughed at this. "Hey, don't exaggerate."

" I am not exaggerating. Do you have any idea how much I miss you?"

" I am really sorry but I was just too busy and-"

"Ok now. No excuse.'' Amelia linked her arm with Eva's and continued,"Let's go."

"Where?"

"I had asked for an early leave today and I got it too. So now I am taking you to a concert. It's just a small band and about an year old but their songs are really good and I'm sure they will be famous one day."

"But I did not even had my lunch yet."

"It's alright. We'll just grab something from outside and you can eat it while I drive."

"Why don't you go with John, your husband?"

"He is busy."

"But I really am in no mood for a concert." Eva tried to back out. I just want to go home and sleep.

"Oh come on, Eva" said Amelia giving her puppy eyes.

"Don't! Don't give me that look."

"Please!"

Eva sighed and finally gave in to Amelia's demand.
"But promise me that we will be back by 7:00 p.m."

"Deal. We will go to my house first and from there we'll go for the concert."

They reached Amelia's home and just as Amelia was about to insert the key, the door opened.

"John!?" Amilia stepped forward and gave a brief hug to her husband.

"Hi, John." Eva greeted him.

"Hey!" Amilia pulled John at an arm's length and placed a hand on his forehead. "Why is your body burning? You have a fever!?"

"Yeah. I wasn't feeling well so I took leave today."
"But you were good this morning. Did you see the doctor?"

" I'll be fine if I just take a nap and-"

"Amelia, I think you should take John to the hospital." Eva interrupted. "And we can hang out some other day."

" I am really sorry, Eva. I dragged you all the way here and-"

"Its alright. Don't worry."

Just then a stranger appeared at the door.
"Hey, Amelia. Hi, John." he smiled.

"Mark!" Amelia gave the man a brief hug.

'Why do I think I have heard this name somewhere before.' Eva wondered.

"Eva, meet Mark, my cousin." said Amelia while introducing the stranger and mouthed looking at Eva so that no one could hear 'Green jacket'.

Eva's cheeks flushed. 'Oh! so that's why his name felt familiar.'

''Mark this is Eva, my best friend." Amelia continued,''Mark, will you do me a favour?"

"You never ask for favours but always command me." Mark chuckled

" I was planning to take Eva for a concert but John is not feeling well and I need to take him to the hospital. So will you take Eva for the concert?"

"No! there is no need. I'll just go home." Eva said quickly before Mark could reply. 'I just want to go home and hug my bed.'

"Oh, come on Eva, you need to take a break. You just work all the time and since the day you started working for Liam Richardson you have lost too much weight and moreover these tickets will be wasted if you didn't go."

"But Amila, Mark must have some work to do and -"

"I can accompany this beautiful lady," interrupted Mark, "but it seems that your friend doesn't really like me."

Eva's cheeks showed a guilty tint. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude." she apologized.

Amelia pushed Eva and Mark towards the door.
"Come on! Eva, you need to enjoy your life a little. Mark, look after her and don't let her get bored."

"Ohk." Mark laughed. "Go and take care of John don't leave him standing for so long."

Mark opened the door for Eva and took his seat on the steering wheel. Soon they were on their way towards the small club where the concert was held. During the ride Mark kept talking and tried his best to keep Eva engage in a conversation so that she don't feel bored.

Mark was a fun guy, Eva realised. Aura around him was so joyous while Liam's aura was so intimidating that even breathing becomes a difficult task.
'Stop Eva! why are you thinking about him!?' she chided herself.

Finally they reached the venue and he parked the car. They entered the small club where the concert had already started. Eva realised the lyrics of the song were really good. They both made their way to the front.

Eva felt as if she was being watched. She looked around but everyone looked engrossed in the song, humming and moving to the soft music.
' I am going hysterical ever since I have started working for Liam Richardson.'

"Hey, are you alright?" asked  Mark.

"Yeah. The band is quite good. The lyrics and music and everything is great." she said bringing her mouth close to his ear so that he could hear easily.

"Of course it had to be. After all it's Amelia's choice. You know she is so choosy that when we were young she would drag me with her from store to store to choose a dress. She is really hard to deal with at times." He confided in her and they laughed together.

When Eva's eyes fell on the wrist watch she realised it was already 6:30. Two hours had passed and she was enjoying so much that she hadn't noticed.

"What happened?"asked Mark.

"Shall we leave now? I have to prepare for tomorrow's meeting." said Eva giving an apologetic look.

"Ok. Let's go."

Mark held her hand and helped her out of the crowd. As they came out he asked her to wait there while he would bring his car from the parking.

'What would have happened if I had kissed Mark that day instead of Liam Richardson?' Eva wondered.

Just thinking about Liam was enough to make the small hairs at the nape of her neck rise.

"Hey beauty, Are you alone here?"

Eva turned to the source of voice. He looked like a thug from the down the street. She chose to ignore the person and prayed for Mark to come quick.

"If you are alone then let me accompany you." he said again coming closer. She could hear his friends laughing and whistling as if encouraging him.

'No! Just stay away!' Eva screamed in her head but was so terrified that her voice refused to leave her throat.

"Hey girl," he grabbed her wrist and Eva felt like throwing up.

"Come on, come with us."

"No! Please leave my hand!" Eva tried to get her hand free but his hold was tightening with every passing second. Her face was getting paler by every passing second and Mark was still nowhere to be seen.