Chapter - 5 First Day at Work

"Miss Evangeline Rose, you are late."

She looked at her watch and frowned.
"It's 9:03 a.m."

"Yes. You are late by 3 minutes."

Now she wasn't sure if she was still in that stupid dream.

"Miss Evangeline Rose." The impatient voice of her boss proved that everything was pretty much real and she was late. Late by 3 minutes!

'Great! Early morning dreams and nightmares do come true and something in me says he is not going to make things easy for me.'

''Miss Evangeline Rose, Didn't I tell you that I don't like latecomers?"

"Uhh... No. I remember you telling me that you don't like liars." She replied with a straight face unable to understand the hidden warning in his tone.

He tilted his head a little, his hands in the pocket of his trousers and his eyes boring into hers.
She lowered her eyes to avoid the eye contact. 'Did I made a mistake...other than being late?' she wondered.

" I am telling you now, Miss Rose. Don't be late again. Even if it's by a minute because-"

" you don't like latecomers." she completed his sentence.

"Good. Go and bring me an Americano."

"Ok." She quickly made her way to the self help and came back a few minutes later and placed his americano in front of him.

He took a sip and said,"Do it again. It's gone cold."

"What!?" Eva couldn't hide the surprise in her voice.
'I can see the steam quite clearly!'

He raised an arrogant eyebrow which clearly asked if she was challenging him.

" OK. I will do it again." She said picking up the cup and headed towards the self help again.
'That's your punishment Eva for being late. I'm sure he tortures everyone like this and that's why no one can work with him longer than a month or two. But I'm not gonna give up.If he wants to fire me then he need a solid reason which I'm not gonna give. I'm not gonna get disheartened because of these petty tricks.' She finally decided.

She came back few minutes later and placed his Americano in front of him. He took a sip again.

"It's steaming hot, Sir."

"Do it again. And this time with an extra espresso shot."

'Lunatic! Tyrant! Dictator!' She cursed him in her mind.

"You want to say something?" He asked looking at her.

" I will do it again, Sir." she said with forced smile.
'Does he think he is in Starbucks and I am his waitress? Even they will not put up with his tantrums and will surely kick him in butt and throw him out.'

She prepared his Americano again and came back minutes later.

"Your Americano, Sir. With an extra espresso shot." She placed the cup on his table and with superhuman efforts she restrained herself to not just pour the coffee on his head.
"Remember not to burn yourself, Sir. It's too hot." she said with a forced smile.

'I curse you to choke on this stupid Americano of yours which you forced me to make again and again.'

*Cough*Cough*
She heard someone coughing and looked at the other side.

'Alex! since when was he sitting here?'

"Good morning, Miss Evangeline." said Alex.

"Good morning, Sir." It was the first time since morning that someone had wished her a good morning because till now her morning had gone terribly wrong.

"Come to my office so that we can discuss the duties that you are expected to perform."

"Yes, Sir."

She followed him to his office. He gestured her to take a seat and placed a file and front of her. She looked at Alex and then back at the file with a troubled look on her face as if she was given a surprise test by her professor.

Alex chuckled at her reaction.
"This is the contract you need to sign. I will brief you about the contents and then you can give it a quick read and sign if you agree with all terms and conditions."

"Ok."

"So the contract states that you are not allowed to discuss the work you do for me to anyone outside or inside the company. You will be have to keep it confidential. It's a one month trial. If you meet our expectations you will get a permanent job and since your workload has increased your payment will be increase accordingly. So I've briefed it and now you can ask if you have any other doubt."

She read the contract quickly but carefully. However before signing she wanted to ask one question.
"Sir, Are you sure you don't want to look for someone else for this job?"

"Miss Evangeline, other than your qualifications you have quite a good rapport with everyone in this company. You will be able to get things done quickly and efficiently. Moreover everyone here have good words to say for you. So rather than looking for someone new and unknown why can't we just work with someone who is familiar."

'He is right. His explanation does make sense.' She signed the contract and returned the file to him and kept a copy with herself.

"Now Miss Evangeline, -"

"Call me Eva, please. The name is a bit too long." she smiled awkwardly.

He chuckled.
"OK. Here is the file you need to work on. In this red file there is information regarding five of the lands that our company want to buy so that we can start a hotel there too. There's a list of competitors too in this file. I want you to do a detailed research on each of them.
You can give me your views or you can just write it in there attaching a page about which properties would be the best to buy and who among the competitors in this list can give us a tough competition. It's 10:00 a.m. right now. I want this file by 6:00 p.m.
If there is any question you want to ask come and find me anytime."

"OK."

"Go to your floor and a desk has been arranged for you and a computer has also been installed. You may go now."

"Alright." She nodded and then left closing the door behind her.

She reached her floor and took the desk prepared for her. This was the first time that she was sitting and working or else by now she would have been running errands for everyone. She smiled at the thought and started working.

Only a little time had passed and Eva felt as if someone was watching her. She looked up from the papers she was working on. She looked around but everyone looked busy and engrossed in their own work.

'Strange. I think I am becoming a paranoid.' She tried to focus on her work again but the feeling of being watched would just not leave.