65/ Long Day

"How is she doing?" Alice questions as she and Hal work on their articles.

"She's good." Hal assures her for what feels like the 100th time that week. She's constantly worried about her daughter, she knows Hal is taking good care of her, that's not why she's worried. She's just worried that she'll never repair her relationship with Betty.

"She still hates me doesn't she?"

He frowns. "She doesn't hate you Alice, she's just angry."

"I know, and rightfully so. But I just wish she would talk to me."

"Just give her some time, Alice. It's only been a little over a week."

"She wasn't supposed to find out like this." Alice sighs, slumping back in her chair. "I wanted to tell her on my terms. Hell, I wasn't even sure it would get to that point where we would end up telling the kids. It wasn't supposed to be anything serious."

"But it is?"

She nods. "Somewhere down the line it became more than just friends with benefits. We fell in love."

"You love him?" Hal seems surprised by that.

"I do. It would be so much easier if I didn't but I do." She admits. "He had suggested telling the kids a little while ago but then Betty and Jughead broke up and we just couldn't."

"Does Betty know you love him?"

Alice scoffs. "No. She left before I could explain anything really, and she won't answer my calls either." She frowns and he knows she on the verge of tears.

Hal slides his chair closer to her and places his hand on her shoulder. "Just give her time, Alice. You're her mom, she just needs some time process things, she's not going to be mad forever. It's a lot to take in."

"I know that, I do, but she's my baby. I hate knowing she's mad at me. I hate knowing that I hurt her."

"She'll come around, Alice. I promise you. Just give her time."

"You better be right." Alice threatens jokingly, making him smile.

"I know I am."

_____

"Come in." FP calls when there's a knock on the door. He knows it Alice, he had invited her to come over after she was done work. "I'm in the kitchen." He informs her when he hears the door open.

She kicks off her heels and sets her purse and jacket on the hook by the door before heading into the kitchen. "Smells good." She tells him, wrapping her arms around his middle from behind.

"Pasta a la Jones."

Alice lets out a giggle. "Sounds fancy."

"Well it's not really, just tomato sauce and penne noodles, but I did put a few vegetables in there so I think that really ups the ante."

"It does. I'm impressed." She hugs him a little tighter and turns around to look at her.

"You alright, baby? You sound down."

She nods. "I've just had a long day. Being with you is helping though."

"Lets go sit and we can talk about it, I'll give you a foot rub."

She smiles and leans up on her tip toes. "Where have you been all my life?" She kisses him softly which he's more than happy to oblige. "I love you."

He smiles against her lips. "I will never get tired of hearing that."

He pulls away from her for a moment in order to turn down the heat so dinner doesn't ruin, and then he's leading her over to the couch.

He pats his lap and she laughs as she swings her feet up. "Alright, tell me about your day."

"It wasn't exactly a bad day, per se. I just was talking to Hal about Betty." FP understands immediately. Her strained relationship with Betty has been causing her immense amounts of stress lately. "She's still so mad. I'm worried she's never going to talk to me again."

"Babe, you're her mom. She's not going to freeze you out forever, she just needs time."

"Did you and Hal exchange notes on how to calm me down or something? He said the same thing."

FP smiles. "I have better ways of calming you down, exhibit A." He gestures to her feet and she smiles. "Things will be okay, Al. I promise you. Maybe not for a while but eventually. She'll come around."

"I know, it's just so tiring waiting for her to come around. I miss her, I've never been in this big of a fight with her." She pouts, eyes gleaming with tears.

"Come here." He tells her, opening his arms for her. She moves over to his lap and buries her face in his chest, feeling his fingers run through her hair and his lips pressing kisses to the top of her head. "I know it feels like this is the worst thing in the world and that it'll never be okay, but I know how strong your relationship is with her, I know how much she loves you. She will come around, Alice, I promise you. And I'll be here to comfort you every day until she does."

She looks up at him. "Really?"

He smiles at her and brushes her hair out of her face. "Of course. I told you, I'm in this for the long haul, Al. I love you."

"I love you too." She takes his face in her hands and pulls him in for a long, slow kiss. Savouring the feel of his lips against her own.

They're so lost in the moment they don't hear Jughead's door open and it's not until he says something that they notice he's there.

"Ew, gross. Get a room." Jughead's voice breaks them apart, and Alice moves away from FP with blushing cheeks.

"Sorry Jughead, we didn't know you were out here."

He shrugs. "I'm kidding. Kind of. You two are fine, I just came out to see if dinner was ready, but I'm assuming it's not." He teases, acknowledging the moment he had walked in on.

FP chuckles. "It was just about ready when Alice got here so it's probably done now, I just turned down the heat." He stands up and takes Alices hand, bringing her with him into the kitchen.

He drains the water from the pasta and is about to serve it into bowls when there's another knock on the door.

"I got this honey, you can get the door." Alice tells him.

He walks over to the front door, confused as to who it could be, he had only invited Alice over and as far as he knowsJughead hadn't invited anyone over.

When he opens the door he's greeted with a very surprising guest. "Jellybelly?"

The girl grins. "Surprise!"