11/ Let's Stay Together

"Hey mom, sorry I'm late, Veronica and Archie were at Pop's too so we hung out with them and lost track of time." Betty explains when she walks inside, truth is, Alice hadn't even realized she was past curfew.

"It's alright, honey, just as long as you're up for school in the morning."

"I will be, don't worry." She sits down next to her mom on the couch and smiles. "So? What did you think of Jughead?"

"He's a nice boy, very respectful and sweet, I can tell why you like him."

"So you approve?"

"Elizabeth I told you, you don't need my approval, just as long as you're happy." Alice can sense the confirmation means something to her daughter though. "But yes, I do approve."

"I'm so glad!" Betty throws her arms around her mom and Alice laughs a little. "What about his dad? Was it awkward after Jughead and I left?"

Awkward is an understatement for their special situation, Betty doesn't need to know that though. "No, it was kind of quiet but we just finished up the dishes and then he went home."

"Okay, I felt a little bad, I was going to invite you and Mr Jones to Pop's too but I sort of wanted to spend a little one on one time tough Jug."

"That's perfectly understandable honey, don't worry."

"Jug said he liked you though, said you weren't as scary as he expected you to be."

"He thought I was scary before?" Alice gasps and Betty nods, making Alice laugh. "Well I'm glad he changed his mind, what made him think that?"

"Nothing in particular, I think everyone is just afraid to meet their significant other's parents."

"I suppose that's true, I wasn't exactly thrilled to me your grandparents when I started dating your father. Though, I guess I had good reason considering they still hate me."

"Well you're a free woman now so you never even have to see them again."

"Cheers to that."

Betty chuckles and stands up, she presses a kiss to Alice's cheek. "I'm going to bed, night mom."

"Goodnight honey."

She's more than tempted to call up FP, they decided to end it for the kids sake, but she's really not enjoying the idea. It's been nice to have someone make her feel so alive, and it's not just the sex, the conversation is easy between them, he understands her. But the kids mean more, so if that means she has to give up FP, she can do that.

_____

FP on the other hand really has a hard time with the decision, sure it isn't a typical relationship but it's something. He likes being with her, and it's not just the sex for him either, it's everything, she's smart, funny, gorgeous, how could he not want her?

A few days pass and he tries his hardest not reach out to Alice, she hasn't tried to reach out to him and he knows they're doing the right thing but is it really right if it makes them both feel so awful?

He finally has enough when nearly a week has gone by and as soon as Jughead leaves, FP grabs his keys and gets into his truck. He just hopes that her daughter isn't staying home from school or something, he doesn't know how he'd explain why he's there.

He pulls into her driveway and walks up to the front door, collecting himself before knocking. He doesn't have to knock though because the front front door swings open and he's greeted by Alice's scowling face. "What the hell are you doing here? What if one of the kids had seen you?" She scolds, taking his hand and yanking him inside.

"Jug's at school." He explains.

"Yeah well Betty just left, you're lucky she didn't see you."

He sighs. "I'm sorry."

She walks away from him. "Why are you here, FP?"

"I miss you." She stares at him. "I miss you, Alice."

"I miss you too." She softly admits. "But it doesn't matter, we had to end things."

"Can you honestly tell me you want this to be over?"

She sighs. "No, I can't. But we don't have a choice, we discussed this the other night. It's too complicated with the kids being together."

"I know this is just sex but I consider you a friend too, and I don't want to lose you." He steps closer to her and takes her hands in his.

"I don't want to lose you either." She admits. "But this is just so messed up, FP."

"Yeah it's messed up, but this whole relationship was a mess in the start, I mean, this whole thing between us was built on a one night stand." She smiles at the memory. "I know what I'm saying sounds crazy but we have this special connection and I don't want to let that go so easily."

"Me either." She places her hands on his arms and squeezes gently. "Do you think we can do this? I mean we'd have to keep it a secret, the kids can't know."

"So is that a yes? Are we doing this?" She smiles up at him and bites her lip, nodding slowly. He grins and kisses her, savouring it. "My goodness, I've missed kissing you."

She chuckles. "It's been five days."

"Five days too many." He kisses her again and she melts into him.

"You better start being more careful though, no more of these surprise visits, the kids could catch us. And if they find out about this because of you I'll kill you and bury you so deep underground no one will ever find you." He smirks and slips his hands low to squeeze her butt.

"I'd rather be buried deep in something else." She rolls her eyes fondly and pulls him back down to her lips, laughing when he lifts her up and heads up the stairs.