55/ Rehearsal

"What is exactly is the point of a rehearsal dinner?" Betty asks as Alice drives the two of them to the hall that the dinner is being held at.

"It's to go over little details and make sure everything runs smoothly. Plus it's a good way for the bride and groom to chat with people before the wedding, because they most likely won't have time on the actual day."

"Makes sense." Betty says. "But something that doesn't really make sense, why is Mr Jones invited?" Alice blinks. "I mean don't get me wrong he's a nice guy and all but I just didn't know he, Fred and Hermione were friends."

"I didn't really know either, I guess he and Fred just met and hit it off. I think it's good though, that he has friends? I mean coming here from Toledo couldn't have been an easy transition on him or Jughead."

"Yeah you're right, plus Fred is as good as they come."

Alice smiles. "That he is. FP's a good guy too."

"He is, he's always really friendly whenever I'm over there."

"I'm glad, it's important to like your significant other's parents."

"Well as long as his mom is just as good as his dad, I won't have any problems. The last thing I want is a relationship like you have with grandma and grandpa."

"To be fair, they hated me first." Alice defends. "But I'm glad you have a good relationship with his dad, I'm sure his mom will like you just as much."

_____

"Hey, how is everything?" Alice asks Hermione when she finally catches her alone.

"Oh my God you're a sight for sore eyes." Hermione says, wrapping her arms tightly around her friend. "It's been person after person, and don't get me wrong, I'm grateful people care so much but damn, this is exhausting. I forgot how exhausting it was."

"That's a rehearsal dinner for you." Alice chuckles. "Just wait until the actual wedding."

"Any chance you want to fill in for me?" Hermione whines.

"You know I would, but I don't really want to marry Fred."

Hermione smirks as she looks over Alice's shoulder. "I think I have a groom in mind, don't worry." Alice raises an eyebrow, but before she can ask, Hermione speaks again. "Hi FP." She smirks as Alice's face lights up.

"Hey, how are you?" FP's voice questions from behind Alice. 

"I'm good thanks. Yourself?"

"A hell of a lot better now," he jokes. "I don't know anyone here and Jug went off with Betty and the kids outside when we pulled up."

"Well you know us." Hermione offers him a smile. "Unfortunately though, I'm the bride so I have to go mingle, but I'm sure Alice here will be more than happy to keep you company." She winks at her friend before walking in the direction of Fred who's surrounded by guests.

"Hey you." Alice greets, nudging him with her shoulder.

"Hey." He grins at her. "You have no idea how happy I was to see you when I walked in here, I feel like a fish out of water, I don't know what I'm going to do at the actual wedding."

"They have the seating chart up so you can figure it out in advance. I haven't had a chance to go look at it yet."

"Well m'lady, may I escort you to the seating chart?"

She laughs. "I'd love that."

She takes his hand when he extends it to her, safe to do so with the kids outside, and the two of them walk over to the seating chart.

"Alright, where are you on here?" Alice says aloud as she scans the board. "Oh here you are, you've got a good seat." She points to a table close to the bride and groom's.

He smirks. "Yeah and so do you." He points to her name next to his and the kids.

She blushes a little. "Well this should be fun, now we have a legitimate reason to sit with one another."

"I can't wait." He steps a little closer, still far enough that people would think they're just trying to hear one another better. "When the kids leave, do I get a dance?"

She pretends to think on it. "Hmm, I suppose we could have a dance." She smiles at him. "I'm looking forward to it."

"Me too." He stares down at her with a smile. "It's going to be damn hard not to kiss you, I'm struggling right now."

"Well keep it in your pants, Jonesys. You've got me all night tomorrow."

He grins. "And boy am I happy about that."

_____

Everyone's heads raise up as a fork clinks against a glass. "Attention everyone!" Alice's voice calls as she rises from her seat. "My name is Alice and I'm Hermione's maid of honour. I wanted to give a little speech to the happy couple, though I'm sure I'll have another one tomorrow as well." The crowd laughs and Alice smiles as she looks over at Hermione.

"When I was fourteen I stepped into Riverdale high feeling like a complete outsider. I was never the most popular girl or the one who got the most attention, and I always felt like I didn't belong. That is, until I met someone who was just as different as I was." Hermione smiles at her and reaches for her hand, giving it a squeeze. "We quickly became friends and I finally felt like I belonged, I finally had someone I could tell anything to, someone who's shoulder I could cry on, someone I could rant to when things weren't going the way I planned. All of that still stands true to this day and it goes both ways. I've held her hand through the toughest of times, laughed with her, shared so many amazing memories. But I've also wiped a lot of tears." She looks towards Fred and flashes him a smile. "I haven't had to wipe a single tear since she met Fred, I've just had to sit through constant flirting battles and make out sessions in my living room." The room laughs and Hermione blushes.

"But the truth is, I haven't seen Hermione this happy in a long, long time. I couldn't have picked a better husband for her if I tried, thank you for making my best friend so happy. I wish you two all the best." Fred smiles at her and stands up. "But, if you break her heart, you're gonna have to deal with me."

He laughs and walks over to her, leaning down to speak into the microphone. "Believe me, that will never ever happen."

He pulls Alice into a tight hug which she's more than happy to return. Hermione stands up and joins the hug, holding two of her favourite people, close.

"Cheers to the happy couple!"