Chapter 26 : A Sweet Start

Gauravi had been staring at the mirror for a few minutes now. At times like these, she wished that she had a sibling or her mother. She like Nishaant no doubt, but the thought of marriage scared her. Even though the Oberoi family was like a dream family any girl would wish to be married in.

But, What if things went downhill?

She had very easily told Nishaant to convince her grandmother. She had thought it would be a great way to see if he would actually go out of the way to do something for her.

A part of her was mad at herself for it. She was being very selfish. Wasn't it enough that he came all the way to Chittorgarh for her? Why was it hard for her to digest the fact that he liked her for what she was, that it was more than just attraction?

"Gauravi beta," the old maidservant Sarita called from the door to her room. "Raani sa, has called you down."

Gauravi looked up at her and nodded. She gave herself one last look in the mirror. She was wearing a light pink lehenga. Honestly, she was in love with the dress. It was her mother's once upon a time. The dupatta had been neatly set over her head, as per tradition.

Gauravi got to her feet steadily making her way out of the room. Her heart wouldn't stop racing like a maniac. She sent up a prayer, leaving everything unto the Goddess Durga. She'd know what's best for her.

* * *

Nishaant was tensed. The Rathore Daadi had a very rigid demeanour, she barely smiled. She seemed to be lost in her thoughts.

Nishaant wondered what she thought. He was broken out of his thoughts when he heard his mother exclaim to her grandmother that Gauravi looked like an angel. He turned to the direction where almost everybody's gaze was.

His heart skipped a beat as his eyes caught her glimpse. His mother was right, she looked nothing short of an angel walking down from heaven to earth. Her eyes were lowered as she walked in.

This was it, maybe. The part that was missing in his life. His life felt as though it was suddenly moving toward completion.

Gauravi was the missing part of his life. It was funny how just the mere presence of her in the room got his heart to skip beats. She walked towards him, led by her aunt. She didn't look up, not until she was standing at a distance shorter than two feet.

When she did look up, her beautiful light brown eyes met his. In that fleeting moment, Nishaant gained clarity. He wouldn't want anyone else. He needed just her. He'd happily give anything to be with her. To be hers.

He smiled, it took a lot of effort. The overwhelming realization made him want to cry. He quickly swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat and looked aside blinking his eyes. Crap, when did he become so emotional? He freaking had happy tears in his eyes.

There were no outsiders. The event was a private affair. There was the Rathore family and the family of Gauravi's Mama Jii, and the four Oberois. Kalyani obviously wanted the entire family to be present for roka. However, Jaya Devi's persistence that the roka be performed as per the most auspicious time had led them to the event today evening. Raashi was mad at her husband for not allowing her to leave with the four of them, few days back.

Jaya Devi spoke up, to get everyone's attention. "On Kalyani's insistence, we have decided that the wedding will only happen after Gauravi finishes her graduation. We spoke to the Pandit Ji, the date for the wedding has been finalized, it will be held on the sixth of June, not even five months from now." She smiled. Her smile wavered as she met Gauravi's eyes.