Chapter 24 : Volatile Emotions

Nishaant got his sunglasses off his face to look at the ancestral haveli that Gauravi Rathore called home. He didn't know that she was a royal. Like her ancestors literally were kings of the place.

His parents had filled him on many little details about the Rathore family. No wonder, the old lady she called grandmother always had this air of superiority around her. Now he understood where Gauravi's stubbornness and pride came from, the royal blood of course.

Nishaant admired the mesmerizing sight before him. Her home was like a palace. The carvings on the pinkish stone wall were intricate. The well-maintained garden would have any one's attention with the bright colored flowers peeping from lush green bushes.

Nishaant was now beginning to seriously doubt his decision. The last thing he'd want was Gauravi to reject him on his face. And he knew she was perfectly capable of doing that. 

He hated how the tiny woman uprooted his confidence. Why was he even listening to his stupid heart? But he knew he wouldn't be able to live in peace if he had decided not to get involved with her. Funny how he had quite literally got 'involved' with her at first sight. He put back his sunglasses, pushing his up his nose. Daadi had said that Jaya Devi Rathore was quite happy with their answer to her proposal and had immediately invited them over.

Nishaant followed the trail of his parents while Daadi led the way. He wished he had company of at least one of his siblings. The plan was sudden and they obviously they had their own everyday life to deal with. So here he was with bus parents and grandmother only.

"You can do this Nishaant!" He muttered audible just to himself. Putting shoulders back, he walked with confidence through the passageway. The walls had beautiful stonework.

Damn, if India was still under the rule of kings Gauravi would be a princess. The thought was stupid but it did flash in his mind.

It was followed by an ironic sadness. Despite having everything, she wasn't free to be herself. He hated how he had grown to be attached to her.

* * *

"Bhabhi, I don't want to meet any guy. Daadi, isn't even talking to me. She sent in Sarita aunty, the maid, to ask me to get ready. She also sent orders for me to supervise Mohan Kaka to make tea and samosas. He's been making tea for twenty past years or maybe more. Who the hell am I to supervise him? I am scared Bhabhi. Do you think I should try running away?" Gauravi rambled, holding the phone to her ear, pacing up and down her room.

"Shut up, Gauravi. Just calm down and meet him. If he ends up liking you, which he mostly will cause you're pretty and rich both. Then, you must convince him to let you complete your studies and work after marriage."

"I don't want to marry, Bhabhi!" Gauravi whined throwing another dress out of her wardrobe. She was done with her grandmother filling her wardrobe.

"Gauravi, one day or the other you have to. Let's face reality. So why not focus on manipulating the situation instead of trying to avoid it. You know right, there's no good way to avoid it."

"I can't marry a guy Daadi likes." She argued.

"Wait. Do you like someone?" Her brother's wife asked with surprise.

Gauravi blinked as a faint image of a handsome man came to her mind. "No. Me, no way." She said shaking her head.

"Then what's the problem? At least see the guy. Just maybe he will be sensible enough to let you complete your studies and pursue a career of your choice."

Gauravi hummed, thoughtfully. A knock sounded at the door.

"Raani Sa has asked you to come downstairs." One of the maids informed.