Chapter 35 : Falling For You

It had been two days, since Nishaant had kissed her and confessed before her that he loved her. It was perhaps the worst way to tell a woman you loved her. She hadn't spoken to him since then.

Nishaant was giving her the space she needed to think about them. He was aware of the glances she stole at him when she thought he wasn't looking. She was relatively very quiet around everybody else too. They still commuted together but not a single word was exchanged during those drives.

It was lunch hour and Nishaant was stealing glances at the table that she and her friends usually occupied. He had noticed that she no longer came down to have lunch with them.

Her withdrawal from everybody was now beginning to scare him. He lingered around longer than usual in the cafeteria. Her friends had left the cafeteria after lunch, like most employees.

After minutes of wait, she finally entered the cafeteria. Earphones plugged in her ears, she walked to the food counter. Nishaant quickly got up and hid himself behind the pillar. His eyes were fixed on her.

She walked over to the table on the other end of the hall, beside the window. Nishaant walked with quickened steps and hid behind another pillar. On one side of the pillar was the table and on the other stood Nishaant.

He simply leaned against the pillar watching her. A small smile was playing on her lips. He smiled wondering which song was she listening to.

Barely minutes had passed, when a figure walked towards her table. Tushaar.

Nishaant's jaw tightened. It took a lot effort to not walk up to him and warn him to stay away from her. Gauravi would never accept that kind of territorial behavior.

Gauravi smiled looking at her friend, removing her earplugs. But the smile barely reached her eyes. "Hey!"

"What's wrong Gauravi?" Tushaar demanded.

"Nothing is." Gauravi shrugged.

Tushaar scoffed. "You think I am dumb? You don't talk properly, you don't eat with us."

That's because I have my breakfast late these days." Gauravi lied. Nishaant looked on, hearing their conversation carefully.

"Stop lying. There's something bothering you. What is it? Hell, you don't even talk to us like before. There is some problem for sure. What is it? Is it about the scene in the elevator the other day? Gauravi, you and I both know that it was nothing but stupid fun."

"I am engaged."

Nishaant's eyes froze at her face hearing that.

"What!" Tushaar exclaimed.

"Those three days I took off wasn't just for visiting home. It was for my roka."

"Your Daadi forced you?" Tushaar asked evidently concerned.

"At first yes, but then I liked the guy."

"Oh!" Tushaar exclaimed. "So fast? I mean you just saw him and like him?"

"I knew him from before. He is... a family friend. So, ..I said yes. It just doesn't feel right flirting with you anymore. I know what we have is a very special friendship. We don't judge each other, tease the other like we were born with the sole right to. I really appreciate and adore our friendship. But, I don't know. .." she shrugged.

"Stupid girl, you scared me. I thought you had some really bad disease that you were trying to hide form us!" Tushaar spoke sighing.

Gauravi whacked his arm. "Idiot!"