Chapter 23 : Aftermath

Don't forget to vote on previous chapters, if you're enjoying the book!

There was an uneasy silence in the living hall of the Oberoi Mansion. The Rathores had left after dinner. Daadi was evidently sad with happenings.

"I just hope Gauravi finds happiness whatever happens." Shiv sighed breaking the silence as he gently threaded his fingers through the hair of his son who had fallen asleep in his lap.

"I can't believe like a girl like Gauravi can't take a stand for herself," Nishaant muttered. Her words ringing in his head only made him angrier at her. How dare she! Alas, she was gone, for him to even get back at her.

"I agree. I mean how hard is it to explain to her Daadi that she liked working. Work is not like being a slave it's merely exploring your skills and feeding your creativity." Shiv spoke.

"Gauravi, is really smart at work," Nishaant spoke remembering the flawless presentation skills she had displayed. "But, what's the point of being smart when you can't fix your own life."

"Shut up both of you!" Krishna broke his silence. "It's easier for you guys to say that. Do you think Gauravi was happy with her own silence? She was not."

Himali spoke up in support of her husband, "Krishna is right. Poor girl, she respects and loves her family a lot. She obviously.."

"If this is the kind of love then it's toxic. It's better to not love than to have a love like that." Nishaant interjected.

"Nishaant," Krishna gave him a cold disappointed look. If there is anything that Krishna didn't appreciate was his sons raising their voice against their mother.

"It's easier for the two of you to label Gauravi as weak. But she is stronger than you perceive her to be. Did you once even bother to notice why she didn't speak back to her Daadi. She could have spoken a lot, but she kept quiet. Did you see where her eyes went time and again?"

"To her father." Nishaant answered keeping his tone soft.

"Exactly." Krishna muttered.

"If there is anything that a girl cannot tolerate, is that her father's head hangs down in shame because of her," Raashi spoke dejectedly.

"Exactly why Gauravi didn't retaliate in front of us. It isn't that some people are weak to talk Nishaant, it's just that if they love, they'll do it selflessly. How you see things might not be the right way always. There are always two sides to the story." Krishna spoke meeting Nishaant's eyes. Nishaant simply nodded sinking in his dad's words.

"But, uncle didn't say a word in her defence," Priya added sadly. "Does he not trust her?" She walked over to her father, "Papa, if I am in a situation like this tomorrow, you will trust me right?"

"Of course, I will baccha." He answered softly, as she hugged him. He placed a kiss on her forehead. She sat beside him hugging him.

Nishaant stared at his father and sister. His thoughts went back to Gauravi's father. Didn't he love Gauravi? Did he share the same thoughts as he r grandmother?

"I am worried about Gauravi. What if her Daadi gets her married in haste?" Raashi exclaimed, troubled.

"She most likely will!" Himali sighed.

"But who was the person Gauravi was with? Did she tell you guys anything in that regard?" Daadi asked, her eyes showing doubts.

Priya quickly replied in Gauravi's favor, "Daadi, it must have been her friend. Gauravi di is totally a good girl." She added. "She told me she never had any boyfriend. She had also said she didn't want to upset her family in any way so she kept away from things like that.