Chapter 25 : Heart-to-Heart

Nishaant walked up the stairs to the terrace. Perhaps some fresh air would help him calm his raging thoughts. He was glad that the door was only bolted and not locked. He gently opened the door hoping it didn't decide to squeak loudly like they showed in horror movies. It didn't, fortunately.

He shut the door gently and walked towards the parapet wall. He placed his elbows on the thick wall, and bent forward, admiring the blanket of darkness that had enveloped the town.

The night was cool. Stars were visible easily unlike his city where you would have to gaze at the sky for hours to spot stars.

He heard something like the rustling of a paper. He turned around observantly running his gaze around. The fact that this was an old haveli and that he was the only one staying on the second floor hadn't scared him, yet.

Stupid Dhruv loved spinning chilling tales about haveli and palaces. And how the ghosts of kings and sometimes their wives and mistresses stayed in such havelis.

A sweat bead appeared on his forehead ad he heard the rustling again.

Shit!

He made a mental note to punch his brother the next time he spun those horror tales. They were messing with his otherwise sane mind. He was, however, thankful that it was not the sound of footsteps or anklets. He decided to head back to his room and sleep.

As he made his way towards the door he heard the rustling sound again. This time much more clearer. He inhaled deeply turning in the direction from where it came.

He could feel his thudding heartbeat grow faster. He moved in the direction with steady steps. There were a lot of potted plants placed in a short platform made of stone. He sighed when he spotted Gauravi sitting and eating chocolate.

Stupid woman!

He stealthily reached her and bent forward to touch her shoulder from the back. She almost jumped up in fright.

"What the hell!" She gasped turning to look at him. He smiled and sat beside her on the floor, proud that he had paid her back for scaring the shit out of him.

"You scared me!" She muttered placing a hand on her chest. He grinned noticing that she wore a t-shirt with capris.

"Why didn't you come for dinner?" he asked softly.

"None of your business." She muttered looking away, holding back a scowl.

Nishaant sighed. "Let's not argue or fight. I really want to make this work."

She glanced at him appalled.

He decided to be the sensible one this time. Even though it was tempting to give her a tit for tat.

"I apologize. I always start picking out on things that are wrong with you. I mean... who am I to even say something? I just always seem to skip the fact that things may be looking very different to you than they do to me."

Her gaze softened and she lowered her gaze momentarily. Couldn't he be like this all the time?

"I am sorry too. I always make you the punching bag throwing all my angry words at you. Whatever happened before I left your home... I didn't really mean them." Her voice was soft.

Nishaant felt lighter. Those words she had said, had hurt him really bad. He paused all other thoughts paying attention to a new one that emerged.

Did he do all that he did at the temple for revenge, to show her how it hurt? That was so messed up, if he was.