* Important Information *

I got few comments, so I thought it's best to address this as a note.

The Medical Termination of Pregnancy in India had no provision for unmarried women, at the time this book was initially written. ( Feb 2020)

In a historic move to provide universal access reproductive health services, India amended the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act 1971 to further empower women by providing comprehensive abortion care to all.

The new Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Act 2021 expands the access to safe and legal abortion services on therapeutic, eugenic, humanitarian and social grounds to ensure universal access to comprehensive care

The key amendments were as follows :

Increasing the upper gestation limit from 20 to 24 weeks for special categories of women, including survivors of rape, victims of incest and other vulnerable women (differently abled women, minors, among others).The opinion of one provider needed for the termination of pregnancy up to 20 weeks of gestation. Requirement of the opinion of two providers for the termination of pregnancy from 20-24 weeks of gestation.Upper gestation limit to not apply in cases of substantial foetal abnormalities diagnosed by a Medical Board.Confidentiality clause. The name and other particulars of a woman whose pregnancy has been terminated cannot be revealed except to a person authorised by law. Extended MTP services under the failure of contraceptive clause to unmarried women to provide access to safe abortion based on a woman's choice, irrespective of marital status.

Please note the last point.

Now, even unmarried women have access to safe abortion based on her choice, irrespective of marital status.