CHAPTER 28

Dax's POV

I answered my cell phone as soon as it rang.

"Yeah Matt?", I asked as I walked home with Alex following close behind me.

"Dax, my brother. I have some information on your wife", he said and my heart raced.

"What about her?", I asked as I rushed upstairs, not bothering to greet my parents who looked worried as they say in the foyer.

"I managed to get into the surveillance cameras and what I saw doesn't look too good", he said and I feared every word he spoke.

"What's it?", I asked as I felt my throat run dry.

I heard my door open and shut as I turned around to see Alex walk in with two bottles of water.

"Tell me, Matt", I said lowly.

He hesitated for a moment and this made me even more nervous.

"Tell me, Matt", I yelled and watched as Alex jumped and sat down next to me.

"Jesus, Dax, calm down. Okay, so I saw two guys block her way and put a black cloth over her face. They then carried her into the next alley. Through the surveillance cameras in the end of the alley, I managed to see them get into a black suv", he spoke.

I felt tears pool in my eyes.

Alex rubbed my back.

"I traced the suv as they kept moving through the city, but lost them as they got onto the highway where a few cameras are disconnected" he said as I heard him ruffle through some pages.

My heart sank.

"But don't you worry, I've asked my team to drive down and look into it. I'll call you back as soon as we find something", he said.

"Thanks, Matt", I said sincerely.

"Don't thank me, Dax. Everything will be okay. Get some sleep", he said before hanging up.

"What did he say?", Alex asked as I set my phone to charge.

I briefed Alex about my conversation with Matt.

He just listened with wide eyes and blinked occasionally.

"Everything will be okay, brother", he slowly said.

I nodded, too weak to speak. Too weak to put my fearful thoughts into works.

"Do you want me to sleep here? The couch seems fine since you'll want to treasure the memories of you and Jade on the bed", he said with a small smirk.

I managed to smile a little and ruffled his hair.

"It's alright. We'll share the bed like we did when we were little", I smiled and his face lit up.

"I'll go get changed. Also, do you want to talk to mom and dad? They're worried about you too", he furrowed his eyebrows.

"I don't think I can. I'll talk to them tomorrow", I said and he nodded before exiting my room.

I got changed as I tried to avoid the negative thoughts and possibilities of what could be happening to my Jade right now.

I looked at my wedding band as I walked to our bed and slept on her side of the bed.

I inhaled the pillow and could lightly smell her sweet fragrance.

Alex abruptly walked in and shut the door.

"I think I should just sleep on the couch", Alex made a weird face.

"Shut up, adopted one", I spoke through muffled voice, as my face was buried into her pillow.