CHAPTER 8

Jade's POV

I blinked as I let the words sink in.

Did he just say that I have to marry his son in return for his investment and partnership with my father's company?

Yes, he did. 

I turned to look at my dad only to see him looking at Mr Langford with wide eyes.

The atmosphere was tense as no one seemed to be able to look at the other and it was super awkward.

"I know this is stupid. I mean, how can you let your daughter marry my son just because of our new partnership, but believe me, I'd want fifty percent of the company's profit and it won't even be much for the initial years. So I don't know why, but I could let you have all of the profits and ask for your daughter to be part of our family instead", Mr Langford broke the silence.

"Although, you can decline the offer, of course. The worth of a human is much more than the profits earned", he mumbled.

I felt like I lost my ability of speech because I couldn't find my voice as I tried to talk.

I glanced at Daxton and his gaze was lowered to his long fingers as they fidgeted on his lap.

I glanced at my mom and Alex whose mouths were hung open and although we were in the middle of something serious, I had to control the urge of laughing at the two.

Mr Langford cleared his throat, "You can take all your time, Sol. I wouldn't even mind if this deal is called off. I wouldn't want to ruin our friendship over a stupid deal that my lawyer framed. It's just that, I want to help you and this seems like the only way, although it might not seem right", he shrugged his shoulders.

"Which son?", I blurted out, surprising everyone around me and myself too, making Daxton inhale sharply.

I tried to ignore the loud noise of my heartbeat thumping faster than ever before.

Mr Langford looked taken aback but recovered instantly.

"Uh, my older one. Daxton", he said as he motioned towards him.

In that moment, I didn't know what to feel.

I nodded.

I glanced at Alex who had anger and surprise written over his face.

"Well, we have our time to think about it", I said as through the corner of my eyes I saw my dad looking at me.

"Jade, no. It's not-"

I interrupted him, "Let's talk when we get home".

"Yeah, we should be leaving", he said as he rose from the sofa, awkwardly patting his blazer.

I followed and everyone else did.

We were ushered out of their residence and a few goodbyes were exchanged.

Alex couldn't be seen, so I assumed that he didn't want to say goodbye.

I glanced at my dad and saw Mr Langford exchange a few words with him as their wives sympathetically smiled.

I was caught off guard when Daxton pulled me in for a tight hug.

He wrapped his arms around me and inhaled sharply letting out a breath soon after.

I could feel my heartbeat increase when his arms didn't let me go after a few seconds.