Chapter 10.

Kritos had removed the newly formed sheets of metal from the forges in his workspace, the metal still glowing almost white from the heat. Xeno watched from a safe distance as she wanted to know how he worked, purring curiously as the Yautja put a different type of mask over his face. Kritos then gathered what looked to be giant pliers, then picking up a bucket filled with boiling water with them. He slowly poured the liquid onto the metal, sparks beginning to fly off the sheets as zinging and hissing could be heard when the water hit them.

It was rather loud as well, the serpent stuck a finger into her 2 ear holes to block out the noise which did indeed help. What confused her was that the metal was sparking when there was no torch being used as Kritos had previously mentioned would happen, once he had finished he removed his mask and set it upon a workbench.

"Now to let it cool for a few minutes." He said aloud to himself.

"Question. Why did the metal spark when you poured water onto it?" Xeno asked.

"Oh that wasn't water, that was a coating agent. The ore in the rocks we gathered has a type of pigment in it that can affect other metal, in other words it can or will melt older metals such as this ship. This coating I created will prevent the pigment from doing so, as well as cause a reaction and cool the metal within minutes." Kritos said as

"What is the pigment called?" She asks.

"I wouldn't know, but I call it 'Blood dust'. It's a deep red that almost resembles human blood. It only affects other metals as far as I've seen." The engineer removed a leather apron he wore for protection.

"Interesting..." Xeno tapped her chin.

The metal was now cooled, the steel tinted red fron the 'Blood dust' as Kritos had called it. It clashed wildly against the silver interior of the ship, but it was very similar to the color of Karnas armor if not the same. He then loaded the sheets of metal onto a hovering loading cart, picking up his welding mask and began pushing his cart towards the door.

"Now I have repairs to make, I will be finished before we've arrived back at the asteroid. Karna is taking us there now." The Yautja left the room as he pushed the loading cart out of his workspace.

*   *   *   *

Xeno was sitting in the multipurpose room while reading a fantasy novel, she was drawn into the story she was reading. It was about a young boy who had found an egg, and the egg had hatched a small winged reptile known as a dragon. Once the boy touched the baby dragon he gained a burn mark upon his hand, and they had gone on an exciting adventure. The ending was nearly a heartbreaker for her until she read that the dragon and rider survived, the serpent was just finishing the book when the brothers entered the room. She shut the book and looked up to see them.

"Oh you're reading that one? It's a good one no?" Karna asked.

"Yes, as well as emotional." She went and put the book back onto the bookshelf.

"Anyways, we've set down on the asteroid and we are headed out. We assume you will be staying here?" Kritos asks.

"As my siblings are still roaming and I am an outcast, yes I will stay here." She looked back at them.

"We won't be gone long." They go to leave the room.

"Take your time and gather as much as you need. I'll be fine, I have more books to keep me entertained." She smiled.

They nodded to her as they left the room, the door closing behind them.

"So what else do they have to read..." She chittered.

Xenos shielded eyes scanned over the titles as she searched for her next adventure. There were several different genres and titles from various authors, so many choices and so little time. That was until one title caught her attention, one that she wasn't expecting at all. The xenomorph removed a rather thin book from the shelf, it was certainly no novel.

"The Xenomorph: Everything you need to Know." Xeno said aloud.

She shrugged her shoulders, thinking it would be worth a look. Xeno returned to her seat and opened the book, finding the table of contents.

Part 1: Introduction to the serpents
Part 2: Types of Breeds
Part 3: Environments and Habitats
Part 4: Habits and behaviors

She began with part 1. As the serpent read about her species, she was fascinated by how Xenomorph anatomy was simple yet so complex. As the introduction chapters were so short, she proceeded onto part 2 quickly.

While Xeno read through the descriptions of each xenomorph breed, thoughts ran through her head. Every breed of course had the special quality of being immune to their own blood, but she was not aware she did not possess acid as her life juice. She continued reading and saw that some species could in fact SPEW acid from a special gland within the mouth, purring at the thought of it. She passed onto part 3.

Xeno was learning that her species reproduced by planting facehuggers onto other beings, sending an embryo into the hosts chest cavities. How a creature called a chestburster bursts out of the host therefore killing them, as well as the rapid growth process.

"Well that's repulsive." She mumbled and continued reading.

Xenomorphs were avid hunters in the dark and preferred dark and damp areas. Not Xeno, she preferred whatever was comfortable. Skimming over the words, one line stood out to her.

'Ovomorphs are highly flammable as well as the nesting material itself, Xenomorphs are terrified of fire as their acid proof coating is just as flammable.'

Xeno wasn't scared of fire. Kritos had a torch that he said would be a flamethrower if not handled with care, as well as bombs that would cause very violent explosions. The brothers and her were also upon the very asteroid of which the purple xenomorph originated, as well as the nest where her very own mother disowned her. Thoughts began to run through her head, growling and smirking at the idea she just had.

Xeno closed the book and set it down, standing from her seat and leaving the room. She made her way towards the weaponry storage room as the door opened for her. The serpent scanned over the weapons upon the walls, mainly the ones that Kritos had said would be most efficient in a hunt. She went around and gathered those specific weapons he had shown her.

The flare, the bomb, the wristblades, Plasma caster, and Cloaking device. She slid the gauntlet onto her right wrist and attached the cloaking device to it, placing the bomb and flare on her leather belt. The xenomorph picked up the plasma caster and placed it upon her shoulder, buckling the strap to keep it upright and in place. Xeno was about to leave when she noticed the torch backpack that Kritos had left in the room after repairs, the clear tanks revealed that there was still plenty of fuel to be used.

'That could be useful, I better take it.' She thought to herself.

Xeno grabbed the torch backpack and slung it over her shoulder, grabbing the torch head with her other hand. She left the room and headed for the ships exit, which was not that far away. With the push of a button, the ramp lowered into the windy landscape. The serpent looked around as she stepped onto the surface what would have been her permanent home, a deep growl rumbled in her chest.

"I'm coming home, Mother..."

Xeno then took off running in the direction of the nest, the torch fuel sloshing around in the tank with each step she took.