Chapter 33

Thank you for 84.6k😍 Don't forget to vote and comment, it means a lot❤️
.
.
.

"I love you," she said to him, and she meant it, for there was no one else she could ever imagine loving in this cruel world that they lived in.

He remained quiet, lips pursed and eyebrows furred in deep thought. But what was there to think about? You don't think about love, you feel it; unless you don't feel it at all. And then it became clear.

She ran away with the tears of her crushed hopes running down her soft cheeks. The shattering of her heart was equivalent to the pain of a thousand glass shards piercing through her chest. She felt as though she couldn't breathe, as though he was the air she needed to survive and that it had been stripped from her. A bitter taste formed in her mouth, as if his lips were the only thing she had ever tasted and now they were poisoned. Her legs grew weak, as though he was the only thing she'd ever want to run towards and now there was no where to run to. Her vision blurred, as if he was the only thing she ever saw and now his image was slowly disappearing. And finally, she fell.

They had all warned her about him; how he'd ruin her. Even he himself had warned her, but it never got through to her naive brain. As she lied on the ground, motionless, her head began to ache as she thought about him and his pursed lips and furred eyebrows. The expression was almost of... mockery. As if he could never even imagine a world where she'd love him and he'd love her and everything would align; as if he was laughing at her, thinking what a foolish girl she truly was for even feeling this way towards him, but more so, expecting him to return the gesture. And then she realized that he had played her, just like everyone told her he would.

He had led her on. She was so blinded by the consuming thought of being in love that it took over all of her senses and blocked out every red flag there could possibly be; and there were numerous. And she began to attempt to imagine her life as if she had never met him, but simply couldn't. After all of this, all he had done to her, she still couldn't rid the thought of loving him from her brain. And it was because she thought he was the one, and those thoughts don't just disappear in mere hours, even days. And because deep down inside, as much as she tried to refuse it, she still believed he was the one. And she believed that no matter what he's done to her, no matter how much pain he had caused her, he would always be the one.

My eyes shoot open as my body jolts forward due to the landing. I lift my head from his lap, but when I look up, it's not the him I wanted. Hayes sits next to me, a tired look on his face.

"When did you guys switch back?" I ask him.

"Who?"

"You and Nash," I clarify, as if the words weren't clear enough the first time.

"Nash was sitting here?" Hayes asks me.

"Um... Yeah." I narrow my eyes at him.

I couldn't have dreamed it. I was here and he was there and I had just told him that I... shit.

"What did I do?" I say mortified, burying my face in my hands.

"What did you do?" Hayes asks me.

"I'm such an idiot," I whisper to myself.

"Kat," Hayes calls my name, but I ignore him again.

I smooth my hair back and take a deep breath. Maybe he didn't hear me confess my love for him. Maybe, hopefully, he thought I was high. High on love.

"Ugh!" I grunt loudly.

Hayes, deeply confused, gives me a strange look before standing up and retrieving his bag.