Chapter 8

Song for this chapter : Change My Mind - One Direction 

I turn a sharp corner and rest my back against the wall. My chest is heaving up and down from running so much. Just when I thought I've escaped, I hear heavy footsteps coming my way. My heartbeat quickens, breathing intensifies. I cover my mouth to try and calm my breathing, but it doesn't work. Two large hands grab my arm and forcefully push me to the floor.

"Say goodbye," he says, pointing the gun to my chest.

He pulls the trigger and my vest flashes a red color.

"Cameron! That's not fair!" I pout.

"Laser tag isn't fair." He shrugs and runs off.

I huff and stand up brushing the dust off of my clothes. I hear a noise from around the corner and slowly tip toe around it. The minute I see a body, I shoot, causing the other person to shoot back.

"Kat! We're on the same team!" Hayes whines.

"I didn't know it was you!" I defend myself.

"Take that side, I'll take this side," Hayes says and we split up.

I walk around cautiously; the gun clutched tightly to my chest. We are all tied, so if me or Hayes gets one more shot, we'll be ahead. I look behind, under, and around everything before moving on to the next room. The loud music is blaring, so I can't hear that well. When I step into the next room, it's not long before I am shoved up against the wall aggressively.

"Let me go Nash." I struggle to get out of his grip.

"I don't think so," he teases.

"Why are you so obnoxious?" I ask.

"Everyone's a little obnoxious," he counters.

"I'm not obnoxious," I defend, and he bursts out laughing.

"What? I'm not!" I yell, clearly offended.

"Yeah, okay." Nash shakes his head.

"Why don't you just shoot me already?" I ask.

"I could, or we could finish what we started in that closet." He smirks, bringing a hand up to tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

He looks into my eyes with those big blues and begins to lean in. Slowly, he closes his eyes and puckers his lips. Just as our lips are about to touch, I pull the trigger and shoot him. His eyes shoot open with pure shock.

"Oops," I say, "my finger slipped."

I take off running, Nash hot on my tail. I run through each room before finally deciding I lost him. Out of breath, I hunch over and put my hands on my knees while breathing heavily. Suddenly, two arms wrap around my waist and I am spun around through the air.

"Nash!" I laugh. "Put me down!"

"Shut up and enjoy it," he says and lifts me over his head.

I giggle with pure joy until he puts me down and we just stand there gazing into each other's eyes.

"So um... we should probably find the others then?" I say, not breaking eye contact.

"We could," Nash replies, "or we could go have some fun."

"I thought this was fun?"

"Oh you poor, deprived child," he says. "Follow me."

We walk straight out of the building, leaving our vests behind. Nash walks quickly, and I find it hard to keep up with his pace.