Chapter 65

Thank you to anyone who's ever messaged me something nice, it really makes my day! 😊❤️ Sad-ish chapter :(
.
.
.

I shut off my alarm before it even plays, sitting up tiredly. I haven't slept; how can I knowing Nash is in jail? I feel like I don't deserve to sleep knowing that on top of that, he's having nightmares. He's having nightmares in a fricken jail cell. I pull at my hair, wanting to scream and cry at the same time. This isn't fair; this is so far from fair that I've begun to see the world in a new light. An eery light where bad things happen to good, undeserving people.
I reluctantly get up and start getting ready to go to Hell. What do you even wear when you know it will just end up getting ruined? I decide on a sleeveless 5 Seconds of Summer shirt. Maybe they can save me; God knows no one else can.

As soon as I look somewhat decent, I head downstairs to see Cameron eating breakfast. Confusion washes over me, knowing that he's usually asleep at this time.

"What are you doing up?" I ask.

"I'm taking you today," he replies.

I'm about to argue, but going on the bus doesn't sound like the brightest idea after what happened yesterday. The day still replays in my brain as a constant reminder of the cruelty at my school. I can still feel my arms and legs pinned down, my heart racing. I can still see the soap dripping down slowly until it finally reaches my eyes, my vision blurring instantly. I can still remember what it felt like running helplessly through the halls; running so fast that it felt like I wasn't moving at all. And I remember my deal with Elena, the fear that washed over her face probably mirroring my own.

"Are you gonna tell me what they did to you?" he asks.

My breathing hitches in my throat, remembering Cameron knows nothing of what happened that horrible day.

"Do you really wanna know Cameron? It will just put the picture in your brain, why would you want that?" I ask him.

"Because I'll use that picture to channel my anger into getting them all arrested." His jaw clenches.

"You can't arrest everyone," I mumble.

"Why the hell not?"

"Can we just go?"

"Tell me what they did!" He raises his voice.

"No! You're just gonna think about it all day."

"Don't worry about me."

"I could say the same." I cross my arms.

"It's my job to worry about you."

"No it's not-"

"Just tell me Goddammit!" he yells.

"Fine! They pinned me down on the floor and put soap in my eyes! Happy?!" I yell at him.

He freezes for a moment, jaw dropping slightly. His face immediately turns pale, tears brimming his eyes. He opens his mouth to say something, but closes it immediately. I've seen this look before; he has it every time I come home with a new decoration added to my skin. I hate this look. I know what he's thinking when he has it, and it's that it's his fault. He thinks that it's his fault every time someone or something hurts me just because he couldn't protect me from our father, which is completely ridiculous. I'm going to get hurt; it's just life.

"Can we go?" I break the silence.

"You didn't eat," he says.

"I'm not hungry."

I'm actually starving since I skipped dinner last night, but I just want to get this day over with. Cameron nods silently and puts his bowl in the sink while I make my way to the car, dialing Hayes's number. It rings a couple times before he picks up.