Chapter 2

Song for this chapter : Counting Stars - One Republic

The hotel is surrounded by screaming fans. Instead of being intimidated, like I clearly was, Cameron stops to take as many pictures as he could with the girls. I wait there patiently, knowing Cam is probably making all of those girls' dreams come true. I get a couple of dirty glances, the girls clearly not knowing that I'm only his sister. Then, something odd happens. Two girls, both grinning ear to ear, come up to me and ask for a picture. I don't exactly know what to do, so I awkwardly pose for the camera. The girls thank me and tell me how much they love my brother, and I tell them he's annoying when you get to know him. They just laugh and walk away, obviously thinking I was joking. I wasn't. When the security guards finally usher us inside, I see a group of boys waiting in the lobby.

"Hey guys, this is my sister Katya," Cameron says.

"Call me Kat," I tell them before they can even say "Hi".

Matthew, or Matt, stands up immediately and offers a hand.

"I'm Matt, he says while I shake his hand.

"Hi," I say, and he blushes.

What?

The next one up is Shawn, who basically does the same thing, and then the two Jacks and the rest. All except for Nash that is. Offended, I go introduce myself to his brother who has a big smile on his face. I immediately notice the same blue eyes I saw in the picture of Nash. I wonder if their whole family has those heavenly blue eyes. Mine are dog poop brown.

"I'm so glad you came!" he says, though I've never met him before.

"Oh... well thank you." I laugh nervously.

"I mean because now I'm not the only sibling here," he says.

That makes more sense.

"Is it that bad?" I attempt to make a joke.

"Sometimes." He looks down, clearly remembering all of the times he's been forgotten or left out.

"Guys, I really want to go check out the pool," says Taylor.

Everyone nods in agreement and we all plan to meet there in fifteen minutes.

"Hey Kat," Cameron calls, "Nash, Hayes, and Aaron are sharing a room with us. Just letting you know."

I nod and walk side by side with Hayes.

"So what's his problem?" I ask, referring to Nash.

"Who, Nash? He just went through a break up. He's been really grumpy ever since," Hayes informs me.

"All of this because of a girl?" I scoff.

"He was in love. Haven't you ever been in love?" he asks me.

I feel the urge to lie and say I have, but starting a friendship off of a lie isn't exactly the best idea. I've always wondered what it felt like to love or even to be loved. I've always wondered who's necklace would end up fitting perfectly in mine and how I would meet them. I wondered what he would look like; the color of his eyes, how tall he was. I wondered if I would feel those sparks, the fireworks everyone talks about. The kind of relationships you see in the movies or read in books. I want my love to be exciting, not the cliché shit that repeats itself way too often. I don't want it to be a fairytale love. I want it to be... different. Unique, if you will.

"Have you ever been in love?" I ask Hayes.

"Once," he smiles down at the floor, "but life caught up with us."

"Love is a waste of time," Nash finally speaks. "All it does is build up your hope and then burns it down to nothing."

Hayes gives me a look telling me to ignore him as we finally get to our room. Everyone throws their bags on the floor after grabbing their swimsuits, and I call the bathroom first. I slip on my scarlet, red bikini and redo my messy bun. I position my necklace to the front of my chest and place my sunglasses in my hair. I think I look pretty good, but the pressure to be and look perfect rests at the back of my mind. I suck in my stomach and hold my head high before slipping on my flip flops and heading into the room. The minute I come out, all eyes are on me. I insecurely cross my arms over my stomach and sit down on the bed. I could still feel eyes on me, but I didn't dare look up. Cameron goes in to change next leaving me with Aaron, Nash, and Hayes.