Chapter 30

Thank you guys so much for 65k! This is unbelievable! ❤️

.

.

.

"It's time that you learn about Charlie."

"Charlie?" My eyes widen.

I had asked about her before, but Nash was never able to give me a valid answer. Suddenly, I begin to feel nervous. I think of all the rumors swirling around the news about how he had something to do with her disappearance. Would I finally get to hear his side of the story?

He nods, taking a seat on the bed. I sit next to him and take hold of his hand, letting him know that it's okay to go on.

"It all started back in North Carolina. It was just another school day, you know, classes, friends, whatever. But then I saw her." He smiles as he pictures her in his mind.

"She was... I can't even call her beautiful because she was better than that. She was gorgeous. She had this long, golden hair and these... these piercing blue eyes." His eyes light up when he talks about her.

"I just stood there in the middle of that hallway, staring. She must've thought I was a stalker or something, because she took one look at me and practically ran away." He laughs, shaking his head at the memory.

"We had a couple classes together, but that was the only time that I'd see her. I was... curious. I wanted to know her and I'm not sure why. So one day, I finally talked to her." Nash looks to the floor, almost embarrassed.

"She was the complete opposite of what I pictured her like. She wasn't shy and quiet, she was confident. Too confident, really. But I still felt drawn to her for some reason." He furs his eyebrows, almost as if he was confused.

"Once we were close enough, I asked her out. She rejected me three times before she finally said yes. But even before our date, I knew I was in love with her." Nash plays with my fingers, trying to distract himself.

"We were home alone one night and she wanted to...." he trails off, looking up at the wall in front of him.

"She kept complaining how she was a virgin and she kept telling me she loved me and that it was time and I.. I..." His hand becomes entangled in his hair, pulling at the roots.

"I couldn't. I-I wasn't ready. She kept telling me that I either have sex with her or she'd find someone else to have it with... so she did." A tear slips from his eye, causing my grip on his hand to tighten.

"I didn't see her in school anymore, nobody did. I thought she had run away with her new boyfriend or something... until I got a letter a month later." He takes his hand from mine and stands up, keeping his back facing me.

"It said that Charlie was... pregnant." His voice cracks as I gasp in surprise.

"She said she couldn't live with herself if she had an abortion, but she also couldn't raise a child at fifteen. So that night, she planned to... she planned to kill herself." Nash slams a hand on the wall and looks to the floor as if he was ashamed of himself.

"I looked everywhere. I looked at her house, at the school, anywhere I could think of. But when I finally got there.... It was too late." He breaks down into fits of sobs, and I stand up to console him.

"There she was... dangling from the swing set. She had hung herself on our swing set," he barely whispers.

We turn a corner on the paved cement and find ourselves at the foot of an old, abandoned park. Nash takes a seat on the rusty swing motioning for me to take the one next to him.