Chapter 44

Thank you for 159k!😍 Don't forget to comment!❤️❤️
.
.
.

My eyes shoot open at the screams of my brother. I run into his room and sit down next to him.

"Cam it's okay, wake up," I nudge him.

"You did this to me!" he screams.

"Cameron," I raise my voice slightly.

"How could you do this to me Kat?" he asks while holding his stomach.

I feel like I've been shot in the chest.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, as if he could hear me.

"No, no, no," he mumbles, tossing around.

"Cameron," I take his face in my hands.

"You think you're stronger than me?" His hands go to my neck, pressing together.

"Stop!" I scream in pain.

"You think... you think you can treat me like he did?" he continues, his hands acting with more force.

"C-Cam," I struggle, trying to pry his hands off of my neck.

"You're no better than him," he seethes.

"Help!" I scream.

Moments later, the door swings open revealing none other than my father. Dan pulls me away from my brother's grip and shakes Cameron awake.

Cameron jolts upward, gasping for air; as am I. I hold my neck in pain and disbelief as I watch my brother's opened eyes meet my watery ones.

"Kat-"

"It's fine," I rub my neck, certain that bruises will form.

I'm quick to leave the room and head downstairs. It's happened every day this week; his nightmares. The past two days, my father has saved me from my brother's unconscious intentions; not once have I thanked him. On Wednesday, he chanted that I was a spawn from hell sent here with my father to make his life miserable. I brushed it off, saying it was nothing but a bad dream. Yesterday, he told me that he wished my father would've killed us so we wouldn't have this pain now; so he wouldn't have this pain. I almost agreed with him until he tried to strangle me with a pillow. It is now Friday; leaving day. Confession day.

"Are you alright?" My father's voice relieves me from my thoughts.

"Am I ever okay?"I reply.

"No, I guess no one is really ever okay," he says.

Like he'd know.

"I'm not going to thank you," I say bluntly.

"I wasn't expecting it," he replies.

"Then why are you here?" I ask him.

"I told you, to make sure you're oka-"

"No Dan... Why are you here?"

He looks to the ground.

"So it's Dan now, is it?"

"Do you think you deserve anything better?" I counter.

"I guess not. I presume that rules out getting to know you better over dinner after school then?"

I take a step towards him.

"If you knew me at all, you'd know I have plans out of state every weekend. But even if I didn't, I wouldn't spare you one second of my time," I tell him.

He nods in defeat, taking a step back from me.

"You're the reason he's having these nightmares," I say. "You're the reason they even exist."