Chapter 53

Thank you for 234k!❤️ The song in this chapter is 'Hotel Ceiling' by Rixton, and I think it perfectly describes Nash and Charlie. Enjoy!
.
.
.

700. In the last five minutes, the ceiling fan has rotated 700 times. I've been up for hours, not daring to close my eyes. It's currently 4:00 in the morning, though it feels like 4:00 in the afternoon. The sun hasn't risen yet, neither have any of the Griers. I've been trying to be polite and patient in not trying to wake them up, but each minute that goes by is another I'm tempted to do so. Skylynn is still asleep in her bed, snoring slightly. How I long for the days when I was a kid, before my father beat me. We used to be happy.

I decide I can't take it anymore and sit up in my poor excuse for a bed. The room spins for a while until my eyes adjust to the darkness. It's not pitch black, but it's not exactly easy to see. I make my way to the door and open it slowly, cringing when it creaks loudly. I quietly sneak out and close her bedroom door behind me. I decide to go outside in their backyard to get a little fresh air, and when the backyard door closes behind me, I let out a deep sigh. I walk around a little, trying to find somewhere to sit. I make my way towards a swing set, but then decide against it. Next to the playground is a little swinging bench, so I sit on it and gently sway.

A noise near the bushes startles me and I jump slightly. I stretch my neck to see if anyone's there, but it's too dark to tell. I slowly get up and walk in the direction of the mysterious noise. I take slow and careful steps, keeping my arms out in front of me for guidance.

"Katya?" I hear, and I nearly scream.

"What are you doing out here?" he asks me.

"Jesus, you scared me half to death," I tell Nash before walking back to the bench.

"Why are you out here?" he asks again, following me.

"Couldn't sleep," I say as we both sit down.

"Me either."

I shiver a little. It's freezing outside and I'm only wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

"So you didn't have a nightmare again?" he asks me.

"No, I haven't slept," I tell him while rubbing my arms for warmth.

"Here," he says, taking off his jacket.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Giving you my jacket."

"But then you'll be cold," I argue.

"I'm fine," he lies.

"Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean guys have to go through all that crap. Like the jacket thing or paying every time we eat at a restaurant. It's stupid," I say.

"I'm not giving it to you because you're a girl, I'm giving it to you because I love you and I don't want you to freeze to death," he says, handing it to me.

I hesitate for a second, but then finally take it and put it on. It smells like him; my favorite scent.

"Do you always come out here when you can't sleep?" I ask him.

"Sometimes. Sometimes I used to drive down to the park," he says.

"Used to?"

"Yeah, before I met you," he says.

"What changed?"

"Everything. You've changed my life," he tells me, though his gaze remains in front of him.

"I don't think you've ever told me what happened with Charlie. I mean after..." I say.

"I buried her," he says.