Chapter 9

Song for this chapter : I Don't Even Know Your Name - Shawn Mendes

"I'm going to miss you," Hayes says, hugging me tightly.

"I'll see you next week, okay?" I assure him and hug him back.

When we pull away, I turn towards Nash.

"Thank you for everything," I say before allowing myself to give him a quick hug, "and try not to annoy your brother too much."

"No promises." He smirks.

After we've all said our goodbyes, Cameron and I walk down the white tile of the airport to our terminal. I sigh as we finally reach the gate and plop down on one of the many uncomfortable chairs.

"So are you going to tell me what you dreamed about?" Cameron asks me suddenly, taking a seat next to me.

"You already know," I say.

"This was different, I could tell," he replies.

"Shoot me Kat!" he yells.

"No Cameron!" I shout back.

"Shoot me!" he screams at me.

"I told you it's nothing." I shake the dream from my thoughts.

"Fine. When you're ready to tell me, I'll listen," he says in defeat.

When our flight is called, we board the plane. I stare out the window and say goodbye to Texas. I still can't believe I actually had the opportunity to leave the state I felt trapped in. I know it's because of our financial problem, but when all of my friends tell me about their vacations everywhere, I get jealous. I know it's a selfish thought, but I can't help it. I know it's only Texas, but it's more than that to me. It was an adventure, an amazing experience. I'm so glad I'm coming back next week for our next Magcon.

Our plane finally takes off and I sit back comfortably in my seat. Cameron has his earphones in and eyes closed, leaving me alone with my thoughts. When we get home, will my nightmares go away or continue to haunt me? Will my father continue to darken my thoughts? Should I tell my mother? Part of me wants to and the other part doesn't. She's the one who let him go. He could be rotting in jail. I will never understand my mother's choice back then yet nobody ever questions it. He's out there somewhere and it's all her fault.

I refuse to let myself sleep no matter how haggard I look. I refuse to let all of these people see the insanity that is my screaming. I play on my phone to try to stay awake, but I feel my eyes drooping. No, stay awake. You have to stay awake. I feel like crying. Why couldn't I have been born with normal parents? I clutch onto my necklace and stare at it. Maybe my soulmate will be normal. My dad's a maniac, my mom's a fool, and my brother's famous now. I hope my soulmate is ordinary. Ordinarily perfect.

I lean my head against the window and listen to the slow vibration of the plane. It's my second time ever on a plane; the first being the flight to Texas. The flight attendants are so nice. They even offered me a drink and a snack. I smiled so big as I accepted them earlier. The other passengers must have thought I was crazy, but I didn't care. After about an hour of forcing myself to stay awake, I give in and let my eyes flutter shut.

***

"Dad? Where are we?" I ask him.

"You don't know this place?" he asks me as I walk around.

All the plants are dead leaving only dirt. The field is spacious, but full of oversized rocks. Each rock has an engraving on it. They all say a different name. I keep walking as my father lingers behind. Why did he bring me here? I continue to gaze until I see a familiar name. I stop and squat down so that the stone is at eye level. I squint my eyes to check if I'm actually seeing this. 'Gina Dallas, loving mother and friend'. I fur my eyebrows in confusion and stand back up.