Chapter 56

Thank you for 249k! 💞 Just a reminder that the story has a Twitter (@simply_kg_) 😏
.
.
.

Bang bang bang.

My eyes shoot open, though I was never asleep. I lean over Nash to check the time and it's early; too early.

Bang bang bang.

"What the hell!" Nash groans, rolling over and covering his ear with a pillow.

I check the window above his bed to see who's knocking on the door this early.

"Nash... it's the police," I say timidly.

Nash sits up and stares out the window, a look of worry covering his face.

"Nothing's gonna happen to you," I tell him.

"I'm not so sure about that," Nash says.

"Hey," I turn his face to look me in the eyes, "I won't let anything happen to you."

Nash gives me a small nod as his mother answers the door. Then I hear a bunch of yelling and crying complimented with deep voices and heavy footsteps. It all happens so fast. Two officers barge into Nash's room and take him outside before putting him in handcuffs. I try to speak, scream, beg, anything, but no sound comes out. Hayes runs outside, screaming at them to stop and to release him. Cameron comes down and asks what's going on; no one really answers him. And just like that, he's gone. Everyone's silent and we're all still standing on the porch in shock.

Then Skylynn starts to cry.

"Hey, it's okay. He'll be back," Hayes tells her, picking her up.

"Um... Come on guys, let's go to school," his mom says.

"School? Nash just got arrested and you want me to go to school?" Hayes asks her angrily.

I've never really seen him angry before.

"Yes, I want you to go to school. He'll be back home later, they're just questioning him," she says, ushering them towards the car.

Then she stops and turns to me and says, "It's gonna be okay" before leaving.

We go inside, the door closing behind us, and I turn to Cameron. He opens his mouth to say something, but I walk away before he can. This is gonna be a long day.

Nash's POV

Wrists tightly bounded in metal chains of secrets and pain resting on a table of lies a few inches away from fate. I keep my gaze set on my shackled hands, trying to find an escape.

"Do you know why you're here?" fate asks.

"If I didn't then you're clearly not doing your job right," I say.

"We found a body a little while away from a park. Do you know who we found?" he asks.

I look at him with a brow raised.

"How old do you think I am?"

"So you knew her then? Charlotte Davis?" he asks me.

"Knew her," I scoff, "I knew her better than anyone."

"So you were seeing her? Romantically?"

"Wow, how'd you figure that one out detective?"

"And were you... sexually active?" he asks me.

I want to laugh and cry at the same time.

"Why do you ask?"

"While we were examining the body, we found a dead fetus in the womb. Was it yours?" he asks.