Chapter 11

Song for this chapter : Bring it Back - Shawn Mendes

"Kat! Wake up!" I hear my mother scream from the kitchen.

I'm already awake.

After that nightmare of Nash and I in love, I didn't dare fall asleep. I get out of bed and walk into the bathroom in a zombie-like manner. I stare into the mirror; a girl stands in front of me, dark circles under her eyes. Her hair is matted and tangled at the top of her head. Her mascara is smeared all over her face. I know this girl; she's the twelve year old girl that had nightmares every night for years after her father left. I don't want her to come back.

I sigh before I undress and slip into the shower. The hot water rolls down my tense body, the pressure massaging my tender muscles. I knead the shampoo into my scalp and close my eyes.

"You're so beautiful," he says as he tucks a stray hair behind my ear.

I quickly open my eyes to rid the image from my mind, but regret it as soon as the soap seeps into my vision.

"Shit!" I scream in frustration and shut my eyes again.

"This is incredible," I speak my thoughts.

"Not as incredible as you," he says and palms my face with one hand.

I struggle to open my eyes again. I don't want to see Nash, I don't want to remember that dream, but the damn soap in my eyes is too painful to bear. I close them again.

He pulls away and looks at me whispering, "I love you."

I smile before replying, "I love you too, Nash."

"Stop," I cry and slide my back down the shower wall.

I don't want to have these dreams and thoughts; I want to be free. Free of nightmares and fantasies. Free of impossibilities. I cover my face with my hands just after the soap leaves my eyes. Why is this happening? Why am I dreaming of him. My enemy, my bully. Of all people, why am I dreaming of Nash Grier? I lather the conditioner through my curly, brown locks. I try to think of Austin and his kind green eyes and friendly smile; but all I see is evil baby blue and that menacing smirk.

"Kat!" I hear my mother again and rinse out the conditioner before turning off the water.

I wrap a towel securely around me and step out into my room. After picking a random outfit and throwing it on, I dry my hair and let it fall in natural waves. I keep my makeup simple; mascara and lipgloss. I run into the kitchen, shoes in hand, and pass Cameron on my way to the fridge.

"Can you hurry up? I'm taking you today," he says.

"Why?" I groan in annoyance.

"Mom has stuff to do," he says as I pour the milk into my cereal.

"You look tired. Did you even sleep?" he asks as I take my first bite.

"I'm fine. Bad dreams, the usual." I take another bite.

Though it was anything but.

"Dad?" he asks.

"Not exactly." I don't look at him.

"What? Who?" Cameron presses.

"None of your business, let it go," I say and drink the remaining milk from the bowl.

"Geez I get it, no 'beauty rest'. Let's go." He rolls his eyes and I follow him after putting on my shoes.

In the car, Cameron turns on the radio and 'All of Me' by John Legend is playing. I start to sing along and Cameron laughs to himself.