Chapter 26

Short chapter! THANK YOU FOR 39k! It means sooooo much to me. Remember to follow the story's twitter (@simply_kg_) for info!

.

.

.

It was later in the afternoon when we all had calmed down. I explained the story to everyone so they wouldn't ask me about it anymore. Hayes was so hurt that I lied to him about everything being fine at school, and I told him I just didn't want to worry him. Cameron told me that the guys were staying for a week and then leaving for Magcon in Washington DC. I was happy that they were here, but I was afraid of what they might see everyday when I came back from school.

Currently, we were all watching a movie at home because no one was in the mood to go out. I was so tempted to cuddle into Nash, but I knew Cameron wouldn't like it. I settled for leaning my head on Hayes's shoulder because both Cameron and Hayes knew that we were only friends and that's all we'd ever be. Nash occasionally snuck in some jealous glances, but overall, he knew that I needed my best friend right now. By Nash's actions, I would've thought he liked me; but then again, who says he doesn't? When I asked him the question before, he didn't respond. Was it because he doesn't like me, or was he too shy? I sigh at all the confusion this boy causes me, but I wouldn't change it in a heartbeat.

Towards the end of the movie, my mom stumbles in the house intoxicated once again. I scream at her in frustration about how selfish she is and how I'm done with the secrets and lies. I tell her to look at my bruises and cuts to make her feel guilty about not switching my school. She looks at me and says,

"You probably deserved it, just like last time."

Last time; she's talking about my father. I take a few steps back as if she physically hit me in the stomach.

"Kat, I-I didn't mean it," she slurs her words.

Nash and Hayes witness the scene and stand back in silence.

"Guys, take Kat upstairs," Cameron says, his voice dangerously low.

I can't move. All I'm able to think about is how my heart plummeted fifty feet into the ground. She said that I deserved to get beaten by my father. The truth is, only Cameron and I understand that the beating wasn't the worst part; the worst part is the nightmares, the constant reminders that it really happened even when you're not conscience. The worst part is the scars; scars that you'll keep forever. It's the fear of knowing that he's out there somewhere, that he could show up anywhere at anytime. It's the trust issues that we've now developed, and all of the other side effects of having an abusive parent.

Nash gently grabs my hand and tugs me towards the stairs. My head is spinning and I feel as though I'm about to give out any second now. My legs somehow carry me upstairs and into my room where I sit on the bed; the brothers staring at me, unsure what to say.

"What was your mom talking about? When she said 'just like last time'?" Hayes asks me.

I stare at him unable to answer. God I want to, no one understands how much I want to. I would tell every living soul if I could, but I know that it would effect Cameron more than me and I can't exploit him like that. He wanted a do-over and he got it in the world of fame. I can't take that away from him.

"It happened at school before," I finally lie.

"I'm so sorry, Kat," Hayes says, pulling me into a hug.

I hug him back, my face holding the same expression; dead. I now have no life in me, it's official. I can't live like this though, what a miserable thought. Will I ever get better? Will I ever get past the tragedy that was my father?