10 minutes before heaven

Maya's POV

Pain, that was the first thing I felt. The pain was everywhere, not a single part of me was not screaming out in agony. Despite all of it, I tried to open my eyes, but it felt like it had been sewn shut. A head-splitting headache was pounding my head and I couldn't form any coherent thought. The non-stop ringing in my ears made all of it even worse. A bitter, metallic taste filled my mouth and I coughed, that was when I thought I swallowed the Sahara desert. My human instincts won over the unbearable pain and I forced my eyes opened. Everything was a blur; but slowly, the indistinguishable images morphed into the familiar inside of the car.

Somehow everything was in an odd angle, I furrowed my brows and something stabbed me in my right temple. Ignoring the pain, I realised I was laying sideways, the car was no longer upright. It was thrown to its side. With the weight of a thousand boulders crushing my head, I finally managed to lift my head and I could make out the hazy silhouettes of my parents in the front seats.

I cried out, but all I heard was a weak croaked. I tried again, "Mom, dad." No response, I could feel another pain in my chest. This time, it wasn't because of any injuries, it was my heart sinking faster than titanic did. Without checking, I already knew they were dead. I could faintly make out a big piece of glass sticking out of my mom's chest, with her head tilted in an unnatural way. The seat in front of me blocked my vision of my dad, but a gut feeling told me he wasn't much better than mom. The pressure behind my eyes bursted and before I knew it, I felt the tears streaming down my face.

I tried to recall what had happen, after a few moments, everything flooded back to me. The car accident, a car had unexpectedly came out of the intersection, it was too dark for us to see anything. Everything had happened too quickly, we were rushing back home after visiting my brother, because I promised to be there for my best friend before midnight; because it's her birthday. My best friend's birthday. It is her birthday, I thought with despair. I promised her I would be there. I promised. But I knew I couldn't keep the promise. I still couldn't move, every time I tried, my body screamed at me. The most I could do was lifted my head, and when I did, I could see blood gushing out of my right abdominal, steady as a river flow. Panic rose and I tried to stop it, but you could never stop a river from flowing; no matter how hard you pressed down on it.

I didn't want to die, not at the age of 17, I didn't want to leave this world. I still had a lot of things I wanted to do, to try. All those self-pitying feeling passed sooner than I thought it would. Another worse feeling hit me, regret. Regret for leaving my best friend behind, when she had no one other than me; regret that it had to be on her birthday; regret that I left without warning. I did feel sorry for myself and my parents, for leaving this world too soon; but most of all, I felt sorry for leaving my brother and best friend behind.

The tears still hadn't stop, it continued to pour out endlessly, like the sadness, guilt and regret; but my thoughts were getting fuzzy. I no longer knew what I was even thinking about, only that it had something to do with my best friend. It was getting too hard to even try to keep my eyes opened. I took in the world one last time; even though I could only see the inside of the wrecked car and part of the clear night sky.

I closed my eyes, trying to even my breath, but it was getting more and more difficult to breath. A wave of calmness washed over me, somehow in the mist of dying, I was at peace. I knew I wouldn't survive this, but I was fine with it. I could feel myself losing conscious, my senses numbing, even the unbearable pain was dulling. The world felt very, very far away, but before death would pull me apart, I thought hoping somehow my best friend would receive the message, I am so sorry. I gasped out one last breath, and everything ceased to nothingness.

This will most likely be the last extra chapter I will post here but you will never know so if you like you can keep this in your archive or library.

I wrote this for an English essay and it wasn't meant to be very long and I already exceeded the limit and I would love for it to be longer but now I don't really remember how I wanted to write it so I left it how it was but I still hope you guys enjoy this and until next time!