Chapter 49

"Were you up late reading again?" My dad asked as I served myself pancakes.

"Why?"

"I think I heard laughter coming from your room last night."

"Really, I didn't hear it." My mom piped in, as we all began to eat.

"You were always a heavy sleeper mom, and yes I was, sorry for waking you up." The lie came out easily. I felt bad for lying, but if they found out Asher was in my room last night. I didn't want to bail my parents out of jail.

"It's fine, just don't stay up too late again okay?"

"Okay."

After untangling ourself last night, Asher left with a promise of a date today, same time.

"I won't miss it again." He had promised me.

"We will see," I said with a small smile playing on my lips.

He gave me a wobbly smile and glanced at my lips, but he settled for a forehead kiss and left. I was more disappointed than I thought I would be.

"-Christmas shopping?" My dad asked me.

"Today?" I asked snapping out of my thoughts.

"No next year," he rolled his eyes.

I rolled mine.

"Yes, it's time for some Christmas shopping don't you think?" Every year we do Christmas shopping as a family, sometimes Maya would join or our family would join together. This year was a bit late but it was understandable under the circumstances.

Oh shuck, I can't, but if I tell them it's a date with Asher then they will definitely not approve and ask how I know but then I don't want to lie again and I can't just say I don't want to go because I do.

"Well, I will love to but can it be tomorrow?" I said a moment later.

Dad raised an eyebrow, "Why?"

"Well you see," I paused as I tried to gather my thoughts, "I'm going out with Asher this afternoon?" I ended it like a question.

Mom and dad frowned simultaneously, "Didn't he stood you up yesterday?" Mom said.

"Yes, but he has a reason and he apologized and asked and changed to today?" I was slightly afraid of their response.

They shared a look and mom finally spoke, "Okay, but if he stands you up again," she left an open threat.

I nodded, relief that they gave him a chance. Breakfast was over soon and with nothing better to do, I decided to visit Maya again.

I wasn't the only one with that thought in mind, Tom was already there when I arrived, "-what am I going to do without you?"

He was sitting down and had his face buried in his hands, he hadn't heard me yet and it was very awkward. I knew I should leave but I wanted to talk to Maya and wanted to help Tom.

"Hey," I said awkwardly, not knowing what else to say.

He looked up and he was still as bad as before, slowly he got up, "I'm just leaving,"

"You know, she will want you to move on,"

"Not you too Laura," he groaned, "everyone keep on telling me that and I'm tired of hearing it. Don't you think I know? But I can't, I just couldn't."