Chapter 14

"Hey actually I just remembered that I had this essay due tomorrow that I haven't started yet and my family wants me to go out to eat dinner with them. Do you mind if we do it another day?" I asked him, as I got out of the car.

"Sure no problem, tomorrow?" Asher asked, I could tell that he did not believe my lie.

"Maybe Wednesday?" I wanted to hang out with Maya tomorrow, and Wednesday was the only day Maya was not free since she had dancing lesson that day.

"Ok, see you tomorrow?"

"See you." I waved at him and I got in my house quickly.

I ran up my room, and my smile dropped instantly. After debating with myself, I decided to call Maya.

"Hey."

"Hey, so how did it goes?" She asked excitedly.

"Not good." I said honestly.

"Oh." I knew that her face just dropped and her shoulders sagged.

"And another thing." I took a deep breath, preparing myself, "I accidentally told Asher that you like him last Friday in the party, while I was drunk."

The deafening silence was unbearable, I waited anxiously for her to explode, yell at me, or just end the call.

"Oh."

And somehow that's even worst.

"Maya, I'm really sorry, I was all drunk and stuff and you know I don't remember what I did, and he just told me and then I didn't know and I really didn't mean it I'm really sorry." I rambled on.

Silence.

"Maya?" I asked tentatively.

"I-I don't know, I know you didn't do it on purpose since you are drunk, but I-I." She took a shaky breath, "give me some time to think ok?"

"Ok." And she hung up.

I stared blankly at my phone for a good ten minutes. I didn't know what to do.

She was my everything, my only friend, she was like a sister to me, and now I had betrayed her. Why would she ever want to be my friend again?

That night, I tried reading, but I couldn't process a single word. So I went to sleep early, which was worse. I ended up tossing and turning the entire night, my mind not being able to quiet down, all different scenarios running through my mind nonstop.

The next day, I braced myself for the worst. I tried to act normal, luckily no one noticed the dark circles underneath my eyes.

Maya was at her locker, which was right next to mine.

Gathering my courage I spoke to her first, "Hey Maya."

She looked surprised, but mustered a hey back.

We didn't talk much afterwards.

I could not concentrate for the whole day, we didn't talk during lunch and I wondered, did she forgive me? Are we still friends?

Right when school ends, while we were at our lockers I asked her, "Do you want to go get something to eat?"

"Ok."

We walked to a McDonalds that was near my house.

The walk was so silent, I couldn't bear it anymore, "Maya I'm really really sorry."

"It's fine, I know you didn't mean it." She said.

"I know but, do you forgive me?" I asked desperately, scared of the answer, "I understand if you don't, I mean I probably just betrayed your trust and I wouldn't trust myself too and-" I was cut off by Maya, "Really Laura it's fine, I forgive you, you are my only friend, without you, who do I rant to?" She said with a small but genuine smile on her face.