Chapter 40

Maybe my brain was also too tired of playing the horror movies in mind all night. For the first time in a long time, I actually had decent sleep. Nothing startled me awake, only my body waking up naturally.

The first thing I felt was his presence beside me. I was curled up against his chest, one of his arms slung over me, our legs tangled together with the blanket. His chest rose and fell rhythmically. I tried to lift his arm up gently, careful to not wake him up, but it was heavy as a rock and it refused to budge.

Too tired and lazy to do anything, I decided to stay in the position, and took the opportunity to study him. I tilted my head up and drank him all in.

I could see his thick, curly eyelashes brushing his cheekbone even from this far away. He didn't even need to turn his head sideways to see his jawline. He still had baby skin, smooth and soft, not a single pimple or zit. Gods I wish I have his skin, anyone, girls and guys will kill for his baby skin. He looked so much younger when he was sleep, all the hard lines disappeared and he looked so peaceful. He looked so good, exactly like a fictional character.

How can he be real? How can someone like him like someone like me?

Then my action last night hit me and the horror of it sucker punched me. Did I actually confess to him last night? What is wrong with me, oh my god. I could feel panic filling me and I had to remind myself to not move.

His arm suddenly tightened around me and I closed my eyes immediately, praying that he didn't know I was awake. I slowed my breathing and relaxed my tensed body.

His arm slowly loosen around me and I could hear the surprise intake of breath he took. I could feel his chest rising quicker and he tried to move too. In the end, he stayed in the position and his breathing returned to normal. It was hard keeping a smile off my face.

I could feel his stare on me and I tried not to squirm under it. I couldn't take it anymore, "It will last longer if you take a picture." Oh my gods, did I actually say this dumb and cliché line? I want to kill myself.

As I drowned in embarrassment and self-loathing, questioning my IQ level. I almost missed his reply, "Sure, let me find my phone." He answered in a heartbeat.

He didn't move, just continued to look at me with those unnerving, beautiful blue eyes. He looked like someone who was admiring a masterpiece, a priceless artwork. His eyes moved so agonizingly slow, it did not missed a single detail, observing everything, as if trying to find a flaw but found none.

"Well, aren't you going to get your phone?" I raised an eyebrow, trying to hide my uneven breathing.

"I want to enjoy the view longer." He said without hesitation. Then he pulled me up and my head was no longer resting on his chest, instead it rested on the pillow. Our face were just inches apart, our breath mingling together. I had never been this close to someone's face before, so close that I could see his face more detailed than I had ever seen my own.

Laying there, it was like the whole world was now only confined in my room. The world had stopped spinning and everything stilled. The only thing that existed right now was him, the only thing I could see was his eyes and all I could think of was him.

I could never get tired of his eyes, I had never looked at a pair of blue eyes so close. The color wasn't like the ones you used to paint or color.
The color alone was so unique, so beautiful it was the perfect mixture of blues and in the moment, I knew this would always be my favorite blue.

He shifted and my heart dropped, thinking that he was going to move away; instead he lifted his hand and it impatiently brushed my hair away from my face. My eyes widen and I had to tell myself to slow my breathing once again.

Then his hand rested on my face and I nearly stopped breathing. He slowly, began to stroke my face gently and I knew I was going to blush.

"This is the first time I have ever seen you blush." He said in awe, his thumb still drawing circles on my cheek.

I had no reply for him, because a long forgotten memory popped up.

"You know, you never seem to blush." Maya commented out of the blue.

I shrugged.

"Not embarrassment, awkwardness or anything." She added.

"Good for me." I said smiling.

"I will find ways to make you blush." She said determinedly, and we spent the entire afternoon finding ways to make me blush.

First she tried to tell me embarrassing stories of me, then awkward stories and then she even showed me really hot pictures of hot guys. None of it work.

"Maybe I just couldn't blush." I said at last, laughing at her frustrated look on her face. I could still remember the frown on her face, her lips in a straight line, eyebrows drawn together.

Then I could literally see a lightbulb lit up above her head and she suddenly came super close to me, her face just inches from mine.

"You know, if you want to kiss me you could have just said so." I said jokingly.

"Honey, we both know you are the one that's desperate to kiss me." She winked, and then she put her hand on my face and started stroking my cheek.

"Uh, what are you doing?" I looked at her like she just grew three heads.

"YES!" Her eyes lit up like Christmas lights and she started to jump up and down like a kid high on sugar.

"Are you okay? " I was starting to get worry.

"You blushed!" She said gleefully.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I did?"

"Yes!" Then she stroked my cheek again and this time, I could feel heat rushing to my face.

"Oh."

"Now, I know when you will blush and how to make you blush." The corner of her eyes crinkled and her grin was so wide, it took up half of her face.

I was pulled out of the memory when I felt the weight of his hand lifted from my cheek. His eyebrows drew together worriedly, just like Maya's frustrated look.

"Did I-" He looked at me with concerned filled in those oceans.

"No," I interrupted him, "it's not you, it's just, I-I remembered something. A memory of Maya."

"Oh." The concern still was not drained from those oceans.

I gave him a small, sad smile to reassure him.

"I only blush when someone is stroking my face." I said, changing the topic. I didn't want to talk about her yet. Not the sweet, happy memories of her, I didn't want to feel like being stabbed by a thousand tiny glass shards again.

"So I am the second person to make you blush." He gently placed his hand back on my cheek, wonder deep in the worried oceans.

"Yes." The heat rose up to my cheeks once again.

Comfortable silence settled between us. His eyes continued to look at me as if he couldn't believe that I was there, but there was also a question haunting him, and I had a vague idea of what it was.

"Did you mean it? What you said last night, before you fall asleep?" He asked quietly at last, the undertone of unsureness and nervousness were not very well hidden.

I wanted to lie, I didn't want to admit the truth. I shouldn't have said it yesterday. Why did I even say it gods. But I knew how much the lie would hurt him and I didn't want to crush him; and lying to myself could only last so long. So like a baby taking her first step, I jumped into the unknown, with no safety nets to catch me. I only hoped he wouldn't be gone when I had fallen too deep.

So I spoke the simplest word; the one with the most meaning, the most powerful, with the ability to both destroy and build. "Yes."