Chapter 25

The following Monday, he was still with Catherine. But now I noticed the little things that I had been oblivious to before due to my anger.

The tension in his shoulders, his smiles never reached his eyes nor did his smirks. Even when they were talking or kissing, it seemed robotic as if his heart was not into it.

The conversation that we had never leave my mind. Somehow I understood him; he believed everything was his fault because that was how people treated him his whole life. But what did that have to do with how he behaved? How is that going to prove something to his brother? To release his anger somehow? Those same questions kept on running through my mind, I always tried to answer them but somehow it always seemed wrong.

I tried to get him alone long enough to ask, yet he managed to avoid being alone at all cost. It was like trying to catch a shadow, impossible and quite hard to do.

I told Maya briefly what had happened. Of course I didn't tell her about his mother, just that he had some reasons for how he behaved.

"So you are telling me that he stayed overnight, opened up and you know he actually wants to be your friend but he is still with her?" Maya asked incredulously.

I nodded.

"I really don't get boys." She threw her head back with an exasperated eye roll and frustrated groan.

"Me neither." I sighed deeply.

"So what are you planning to do?"

"Confront him? Try to talk to him?"

"And then what are you going to say?"

"I don't know! What do people normally say in these situations?"

"You are the one that read the most books! You tell me."

"I don't know!" I threw my hands up, exasperated.

"Don't the girl usually be like: oh it's not your fault!" Maya said in a high pitch voice, imitating those basic girls' voices. "And then they confess and kiss and live happily ever after?"

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah as if we are going to confess."

Her face suddenly turned serious and it scared me for a moment, "I actually think he likes you."

I laughed out loud and gave her an incredulous look, "Me? You serious?"

"Very." And she sounded so solemn.

"What makes you think that?" I challenged her.

"Well for starters, he opened up." She listed off.

"He can open up to a friend." I interrupted.

"Hush, and then he stick by you even when you are being your weird self." She continued.

"That's what friends do! You do that for me too!" I defended.

"Let me finish first!" She gave me a stern glare and I shut my mouth, swallowing all my other protests.

"He defends you when you are not around, he glares at boys that even look at you, he rejected thousands of girls, and you never seen the way he looked at you, as if you are the only thing that exists, the only thing that matters to him." She finished.

"Wow, did you get that off the internet or something? Did you read or watch that somewhere?" I tried to not sound too sarcastic but at this moment, it was impossible.

"I am dead serious." She stared at me, and she did looked serious, so serious that I wondered did she hit her head or something.

"The things you said sounded like all those typical cliche stuff that boys do to the girls in every cliche book." And I started to wonder, did Maya get possessed? Maybe I should ask Tom is she acting strange these few days.