Chapter 9

"I will have a fried rice please." I said to the waiter, handing the menus back to him.

"And I will have a Dim Sum and congee thanks." Asher added.

"No problem," he flashed me a smile and left.

Now that there was no more menu to stall the conversion, I started to feel uncomfortable with him staring at me expectedly.

"Are you going to tell me about yourself?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"No." I said stubbornly.

"Come on, that's the point of this date." He said, I bet he did not even notice that he slipped and said date instead of dinner. I decided to ignore it.

"Fine, hi I'm Laura Clark, I'm 17 and my best friend is Maya, I have brown hair and brown eyes." I said as I rolled my eyes.

"Is this how you introduce yourself during a date?" He raised an eyebrow.

"First I don't go on dates, second this is not a date, third why am I even talking to you?"

"You don't go on dates? You have never been on a date?" He asked him shock.

"Yes," I muttered, kind of embarrassed but I tried to not show it.

"Wow so I am your first date," he smirked at me, leaning his head on his hand.

"No-" and I was interrupted by the waiter.

"Here's your Fried Rice, Dim Sum and Congee." He said as he put down the food.

I gave him a polite smile glad that he interrupted us, "Thank you."

"Your welcome." He said giving me a beaming smile.

Asher scowled at him.

We both started to eat. There was just sound of us eating, people talking around us, laughter. The bell rang, telling us that there was a new costumer.

My seat had a clear view of the doorway. As Maya and her family came in my eyes locked with Maya's, who had shock written all over her face.

She saw Asher in front of me and she became tensed, oh she is so jealous.

I excused myself, went to the bathroom and signal Maya to go too so we could talk.

Once inside the empty small bathroom, she bombarded me with questions, "Why are you here? With Asher? What? Wait aren't you guys doing the project? Your parents-"

I interrupted her, "First calm down, second I'm here because I had no one to eat dinner with and Asher insisted. But don't worry, I won't steal him away from you." I gave her a suggestive wink.

She blushed and rambled nervously, "what are you talking about, of course it's fine, you guys are just doing project and hanging out and eating dinner."

"Okay stop chill, we really are just eating dinner, nothing more, besides I asked you first and you couldn't." I reasoned with her.

She nodded, relief washed over her face.

"Also, did you know that Asher had an amazing voice." I told her, subtly changing the subject.

"Really?" She said excitedly, her eyes lit up at the mention of his name. Wow she likes him a lot.

"Yes, I just listened to him singing during the car ride." I continued.

"I wish I can hear him sing." She sighed wistfully.

"You will, one day." I said, trying to sound hopeful for her, "I should probably go back, Asher will be wondering why I'm gone for so long. I will call you later to tell you all the details!" I said as I gave her a little wave and left.

I walked out of the bathroom just in time to see Asher stealing my food.

"Hey! What are you doing?" I asked him, giving him a stern glare.

"Eating?" He answered with a question.

"Don't steal my food, it's mine." I said as I sat back down and pulled my fried rice closer to me so he could not reach it.

"Fine, you want some of mine?" He offered his food as a peace offering.

I observed the food and the Dim Sum is my favorite, so I got one.

He gave me a triumph smile and I could not help but meekly smile back.

While eating, we made small talks here and there, just gossips and rumours in our school.

"Did you know that Ms Catarina use hair extension?" He told me, while eating his congee.

"I know right! I thought I'm the only one who thought of that! Also her mood swings are so big like, I understand that she's pregnant but seriously?" I laughed.

Soon we finished dinner, which he insisted to pay. But I made him promise that next time I will be paying.

"Next time? There will be a next time?" He asked me while giving me that smirk of his.

I shrugged my shoulders and said nonchalantly, "I don't mind, besides we still have to do the PowerPoint."

He nodded but he was still smirking at me.

There were no longer an awkward silence, instead there's a comfortable silence during the car ride. I check my phone and it's already 9:30.

Hmm, there's two homework but it's due a few days later. There's no need to rush, I can just read first, should I reread the infernal devices or the new books that I bought last week?

The car stopped and we were in front of my house, the lights were off, which means that my parents still was not home.

I got out of the car, thanked him for the ride and dinner, and he left.

As I walked towards my house, I felt light and carefree. It felt really nice to talk to someone else, someone different. Someone other than Maya, that is.

I was in a great mood for the rest of the night. Until I went to bed and I started to overthink again. Maybe he is just pretending, you know how people are you will never know, better safe than sorry.

Just that thought turned my mood upside down and all the thoughts of becoming friends were shot down.