Forty Eight

My head rested on the kitchen table as I silently prayed for The Lord to come and deliver the bad thoughts from my mind or to come calm my screaming child down. Whichever one He wanted to do was fine with me and I was really praying for the latter. Junior had been screaming and whining for two weeks now. At first I thought that he was doing it because he was sick so we went to both the doctor and emergency room and nothing was wrong.

Day in and day out he screamed. He took his first steps screaming his head off. Only when he was eating or sleeping was he quiet, other than that we had noise.

I was cranky and beyond tired. It took all that I had not to get angry at Junior because I couldn't figure out what's wrong. I stood and swooped him up in my arms. "I wish you could talk. What's the matter?" I said. He stopped his crying for a second before falling out in my arms. I sat him in his playpen that sat in the living room just as the doorbell went off.

"What's up, Bebo?" I asked the little five year old boy from next door. "Uh-uh-uhh, hold on." He held his finger up and left back home. "mi mamá dijo que ella puede pedir prestado un palo--" "English, Bebo." I reminded him. He swore that I could speak Spanish. "My mommy said do you have butter?" He finally got out. "Yeah, one second." I went to get a stick of butter and handed it over to him. "Thank you. I can teach you Spanish if you want." Bebo smiled before grabbing my hand and swinging it. "We will see about that and you're welcome. Tell your mom I want some of whatever she's making." I said before he ran off. After making sure he was in, I returned back to my loud mouthed child.

I sat on the couch with my knees tucked to my chest and my head rested on my knees. I was waiting on Don to text or call me back. Hopefully it would be soon since I had to tell him that it was a true emergency. It had been three weeks since I saw him last and since I guess what you would call our break up.

Toys were flying out of the playpen and across the room, hitting the hardwood floor. "Adonis, stop throwing your toys before you break something. You know better." I got up and sat the toys back in the playpen before going back to my seat. Thankful that he was quiet for a bit while he played. Five minutes later he was back at it and throwing his toys. Just when I got back up to stop him, one of them hit the coffee table- knocking over a vase causing it to shatter against the hardwood. "Are you kidding me!" I shouted, stomping away to get the broom and dustpan.

"Why is he just yelling like that?" Don asked coming in the house. "I wish I fucking knew." I said sweeping up the glass. "Don't start Britni." He said while picking Junior up who immediately stopped crying and tucked his head into his father's neck. I shook my head once realizing that he was crying for Don. I guess he was missing him, I don't know why or how that could be when he hardly ever saw him. "Don't start what? About how you need to stop abandoning your child when we have issues between the two of us? I'll start on that."

"I don't abandon him." Don said. "Whatever. I'm going to have some me time. When you leave, turn the bottom lock and it would be great if you took the kid with you because Momma need a break." I told him before grabbing a wine glass from the rack and a bottle of wine from the fridge. "Are you for real?" Don asked when I walked past. "Yes now if you'll excuse me." I shut my room door in his face.

Once I was in the room I went and started a hot bubble bath, turned on the 90's R&B station on Pandora and lit me a few candles before I submerged my body into the water. I could feel every muscle in my body loosen up and let myself enjoy the feeling before pouring a glass of wine. Forty-five minutes later, the water was barely warm and my bubbles dissolving making me move to the shower to clean my body. After moisturizing and making sure that everything was off I pulled on leggings and a sports bra before climbing in bed.

-----

"Get your ass up!" Don yelled while bringing his large hand down on my ass. "No. You're not even supposed to be here, go away." I groaned. "Just get up, I want to talk to you before I leave." I silently cursed in my head before sitting up. "Wait a minute, I have to use the bathroom." I said before going to handle my business.